AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   ideas on cleaning used transmission? (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=200695)

teamgrn 03-07-2015 09:08 AM

ideas on cleaning used transmission?

i got a used transmission and of course it was completely covered in oil and grime.. caked. been using simple green, and brake parts cleaner.. also going thru the shop towels.
its currently off the car and i want to get it cleaned before install.
1)can i pressure wash it?
theres no speed sensor on it. ive had a shop towel stuffed in the void while scrubbing.. and no axles. i was thinking about putting the axles in before washing to keep water out. ive been afraid of getting simple grn or brake cleaner in the speed sensor hole and in the axle holes
2) when i remove the trans from the car at the scrap yard, the inside of the trans case was CAKED with oil and grime aswell. the space for the clutch and flywheel. id say almost more than the outside, because the outer was mostly on the bottom
3) what does that mean when its that dirty on the inside of the transmission case?

king06 03-07-2015 12:50 PM

1. Yes just cover all the holes including the breather at the top.

2. Did you open the the transmission? If there's all kinds of gunk in it and its black, it most likely got contaminated from the outside. I had a transmission he like that, it had a nickel sized hole through the clutch housing. So definitely look for holes. The car was in the junkyard for a reason.

Chuck Chainz 03-07-2015 01:19 PM

It's enclosed, so if seal fail the oil will get thrown everywhere, and just cakes in residue from the clutch disc itself.

A pressure washer is a great idea, I personally just used wire brushes, simple green and diluted purple power.

teamgrn 03-07-2015 09:51 PM

ok, good looking out. i shouldve did the before and after, but i always just jump in.
yeh was using a wire brush, but its mangled. just got back from harbor fr8. they had them on sale too

BlueTeg 03-11-2015 11:51 AM

ossman14 03-11-2015 09:45 PM

That's beautiful

AnthemCTR 03-11-2015 10:27 PM

.x2

teamgrn 03-12-2015 01:06 AM

[quote=BlueTeg;3234887]1.) I wouldn't if I were you. The internals are steel. Steel + water = rust. Rust is bad, mmmmkay.

2 & 3.) If it was dirty on the "inside" portion that faces the clutch and flywheel then donor car's engine probably had a leaky main seal or leaky input shaft seal. If it's dirty on the "inside" portion where the transmission gears are, then it could be that the transmission fluid was never changed. In which case you should probably have the syncros inspected for wear and/or replacement.

that is phking amazing! especially if it looked like mine:this-guy_2:
thanks for the info. i havnt opened the gear box yet
you MUST have a solvent tank