AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Getting my Fat ass in shape help (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=168847)

Meat_Lovers_Pizza 04-08-2012 02:05 PM

Getting my Fat ass in shape help

So I need to get back into shape.

I need info on supplements and good routines..

I'm currently about 205, I'd like to get back down to 180-190 and cut up.

what do?

BB6 SwAg 04-08-2012 02:36 PM

Google is your friend. LOW carbs, high protien. Just need a good multi vitiman and protien powder....

mkbvictory 04-08-2012 08:06 PM

I say stop eating after 8pm, eat 5 small meals a day, no and I mean NO soda, cut back on fast food!

B-18 turbocivic 04-08-2012 08:58 PM

Try P90X it works, it is alot of work though not for the weak of heart. After the first couple of weeks you won't be as sore, also if you don't like yoga you won't like the P90X yoga either. Just be ready to work out six days a week and there is alot of cardio, i haven't done it in awhile so i need to get back into just not ready to be sore for the first two weeks, but once i get past that it is all good.

Nachooooosupreme 04-08-2012 09:48 PM

Get mentally fit first then hit the gym. I bought some isolate whey protein from gnc and within a couple days i felt energetic. Ive lost about 2 inches around the waste in 2 months. Of course you have to watch what you eat like breads and starches that have high carbs. Its hard but its also worth it. Just something id thought id share with you. Good luck!!

Discipline is key to life :)

Spec C 04-09-2012 09:35 AM

Pick a game plan you can stick to, and stick to it. All the advice posted is so general it might not even apply to you, your lifestyle, schedule, etc.

You don't HAVE to limit carbs.
You don't HAVE to stop eating at a certain time.
You don't HAVE to eliminate all sugar.

What you do HAVE to do is look at the big picture, and put together a meal plan that takes into account all of these variables. Something you can stick to, 100%, day in and day out FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME, IE FOREVER.

Shit, that kid I posted a few threads below this went from 290+ to 207, and he eats Reeces puffs cereal 3 x a week, and on saturday can eat more or less anything he wants, and however much of it he wants. Most of the time I am yelling at him to eat more poptarts, or rice krispy treats..lmao

MADEGO 04-09-2012 09:48 PM

^^^this is what I'm talking about. I love me some lucky charms cereals.

Dsquared Upholstery 04-10-2012 01:32 PM

Best advice I can give you is read a few books on the subject. If you have a smart phone you likely have a kindle app and can purchase books written by reputable authors for not very much money Or buy a book from the store. Read up on nutrition and strategies to build muscle (workout plans). Bottom line is there are plenty of different meal plans and exercise routines out there, pick one that takes you out of your comfort level and stick with it. Sticking with it is the key.

Dsquared Upholstery 04-10-2012 01:33 PM

[quote=Spec C;2765668]Pick a game plan you can stick to, and stick to it. All the advice posted is so general it might not even apply to you, your lifestyle, schedule, etc.

You don't HAVE to limit carbs.
You don't HAVE to stop eating at a certain time.
You don't HAVE to eliminate all sugar.

I was hoping to see you chime in on some of this rif raf.

Waffle_Taco 05-23-2012 08:35 AM

take hydrroxycut or try jacked it gives u a pump b4 u workout

Dsquared Upholstery 05-24-2012 12:34 PM

Those two do completely different things. the only way to lose weight is to eat less. It's called counting calories

EG kidd 05-24-2012 04:57 PM

never cheat a diet cuz no point in a diet and getting in shape

rudsone 05-24-2012 04:59 PM

Nachooooosupreme 05-24-2012 05:04 PM

^:like:

4dreglsv 05-24-2012 07:40 PM

ive heard this before i have tried this and it works. and also drink a lot of water!!

Dsquared Upholstery 05-24-2012 07:54 PM

There's people that disagree and agree with this. I personally do think spacing meals out throughout the day is a good idea. The thing is, these are meals not snacks. Yogurt and chips dont count

4dreglsv 05-24-2012 07:56 PM

i say it does work as long as it is good food not junk food... dont over do it. and drinking water is good too i have heard before u eat to drink water before u eat so u can get full faster and wont eat a lot.... IMO sounds like a good idea....

Spec C 05-24-2012 08:11 PM

What works? You can eat 1 meal a day and if it is more than you burn you will get fat. You can eat 75 meals a day, evenly spaced to the second, and if it is more than you burn you will get fat.

None of this shit works, without EVERYTHING being in check.

4dreglsv 05-24-2012 08:19 PM

5 SMALL MEALS a day work instead of 3 over eaten meals a day............. but thats just IMO...

Spec C 05-24-2012 08:33 PM

What is a small meal? 200 calories? 500 calories? "Small" is relative term. Without actually knowing how many calories are in each meal, you are pissing in the wind.

If someone is 250lb 10% bf do you think their "small meals" will be the same size as someone who is 150lb 20% bf?

It only "works" because you did it in a way where you consumed less calories. Of course if you go from gorging yourself 3 meals a day, to eating 5 portion controlled meals, odds are you will lose weight.

BUT

Guess what. If you take those 3 meals a day, and don't gorge yourself, and control the portions of them.......you will lose weight... You don't HAVE to eat 5-6 meals.

Meal frequency is not important(within reason).

4dreglsv 05-24-2012 08:56 PM

well i guess your right... all we gotta do is eat healthier and it will work for all of us....

neveragain 05-25-2012 12:14 AM

The concept behind eating 5-6 small-er meals a day is that you are keeping your metabolism going throughout the whole day, rather than eating 3 small meals a day. Assuming your calories and foods-eaten are the same in both cases, most often, eating 5-6 small-er meals a day will burn more net calories. It's obviously not a huge difference daily, but over time it would add up.

It goes without saying, though, that everybody is different.

Spec C 05-25-2012 05:01 AM

And what I'm telling you is that is bullshit and recent research shows there may actually be a larger thermic response from larger meals.

It's just something that has been regurgitated throughout the years.

If you prefer to eat 5-7 meals a day, fine, then do so but it is absolutely not nessicary. But eating 3-4,pending calories are the same will yield the same results.

If you take 2000 calories and split it over 6 meals your results will be the same as if you take 2000 calories and split it over 3.

Imo eating 6 meals a day is just a giant pain in the ass. It's fine for a while but do it day in and day out for years, WITHOUT missing meals, then talk to me.

Spec C 05-25-2012 05:12 AM

Some reading on meal frequency.

Dsquared Upholstery 05-25-2012 09:03 AM

Here's two opposing sources. I think with this school of thought. I think there's a lot of validity to smaller meals. I eat 4 meals a day so I'm somewhere in between. Bottom line is that the count of calories and source of those calories is a lot more important than number of meals. Lots of pro's eat 6 or more meals a day, I think it's overkill

Spec C 05-25-2012 09:34 AM

Sorry but neither of those are worth a damn. The second one is a guys opinion, and the first doesn't even site the study, making it worthless without knowing the details. It doesn't tell us if calories were controlled, etc.

It is very easy to skew a study to benefit your opinion. That is why the study needs to be sited.

If you are eating 7k calories a day, doing so in 3-4 meals might be difficult, so you might need to eat more meals.

You yourself eat 4 meals. That would be considered low by most bodybuilding standards. Typically "broscience" dictates you should be eating 6-7 meals a day..heh

Spec C 05-25-2012 09:57 AM

Actually I found the study:
"Influence of the feeding frequency on nutrient utilization in man: consequences for energy metabolism."

They drew a conclusion by there being less stable fat and carb oxidation, that it would lead to weight gain. But that is not fact. That is their opinion. The study states there was no consequence.

From the study:
Another study
Verboeket-van de Venne WP, Westerterp KR, Kester AD. Effect of the pattern of food intake on human energy metabolism. Br J Nutr. 1993 Jul;70(1):103-15.

Another:
Molnar D. The effect of meal frequency on postprandial thermogenesis in obese children. Padiatr Padol. 1992;27(6):177-81.

Another:
Tai MM, Castillo P, Pi-Sunyer FX. Meal size and frequency: effect on the thermic effect of food. Am J Clin Nutr. 1991 Nov;54(5):783-7.

Another:
Young JC. Meal size and frequency: effect on potentiation of the thermal effect of food by prior exercise. Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol. 1995;70(5):437-41.

Spec C 05-25-2012 09:59 AM

Another article, fully sited, with tons of studies.

I just want to clarify. I think there are situations when more frequent meals are better.

My only point is to the whole "eat small meals to boost metabolism". That is bullshit..lol

If you want to eat all these small meals all day, and enjoy it, go for it. I personally stick to 3-4.

neveragain 05-25-2012 12:00 PM

So, my only argument here is in the sample sizes. It's 6, 11, and 10 people. These results are unreliable. There is no way to generalize a small group of people as the equivalent to the average person. There are far too many outside contributing factors.

Prospective studies that "cite" a number of different previous studies are also fine, but again with the sample sizes. Even if you were to cite 10 studies with 10, even 100 people each, that's still a tiny sample size in comparison to the ~314 million people in America.

Most importantly, I'm not a nazi about how to eat. Eat however you want. If it works for you, fine.
I've tried eating 3 meals a day and it doesn't work for me. I lose weight faster and am less likely to eat unhealthy foods when I am not ravenously hungry after not eating for ~5 hours. Your first study even said it, itself. More meals per day = less frequent appetite cravings.

Props for getting the studies, though and backing your opinion!

Spec C 05-25-2012 12:18 PM

First of all we are not talking about psychological reasons. A person not having the will power to eat their allotted food, is besides the point. I never addressed, or argued the physiological aspect. That would be a valid reason for more meals(if that was your issue).

I am speaking about NOTHING MORE THAN the regurgitation of the fallacy that "eating small frequent meals stokes the metabolism" when all the latest research points to the exact opposite.

I said from my FIRST post.. If you ENJOY eating that many times do it, just don't give me the line about the metabolism, because it is nonsense.

Secondly. Sample size is small but we are measuring the thermic response to food, you don't need an extremely large sample size IMO. Would you need to sample 3 billion people to conclude if you drink alcohol your BAC increases?

As to being hungry I can't even begin to speculate as I didn't set-up your diet. MANY factors come to play there. Hunger is an extremely complex reaction.

I know without a shadow of a doubt I could structure a 2-3 meal plan geared toward fat loss and have you not be hungry all the time.. I am confident in this because I have done it time and time again with people. There is just certain things that are important when doing so. Now this is not saying I would recommend it, but certain situations dictate fewer meals, and for those people I would use a similar approach. Some people have very demanding schedules where eating 5-6 times is NOT an option.

Speaking for myself, deep into a diet eating 5-6 meals that are 200 calories leaves me hungrier than 3 larger more satiating meals.

Now again to clarify, I am not even saying I prefer to eat 1-2 times a day, I am just clearing up the mis-information about this "stoking the metabolism with smaller frequent meals". My ideal set-up is 4-5 meals a day for 90% of the people I work with.

If you enjoy eating more often, if it helps you stick to a diet easier, if it fits your schedule better, etc is besides the point I am making. I am all about making things as simple, and enjoyable as you can while still getting the desired results.

Good discussion though...heh