AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   Paint & Body Shop (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   any one who can primer (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=93856)

dhawkins 04-09-2009 03:09 PM

any one who can primer

i have a 96 civic dx coupe that needs to be primered can you help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The President 04-09-2009 03:50 PM

x2, nothing shittier than doing a job twice.

Finish-Line Racing 04-09-2009 06:26 PM

Ryan 04-09-2009 06:33 PM

I can do it and have some good primer left over from last weeks project. PM me, I will do it for the cost of the left over primer since I dont need it anyway.

4thgen'noob 04-18-2009 11:47 AM

Just wondering, how much would you want to do a ef hatch?

krowndking 04-20-2009 11:52 AM

This is not true. You can drive in primer for quite some time with no worries. If your plan is just to get it in primer for now I do reccomend you def use a 2k primer not laquer. Hit me up if you need this done or any other help....or hit up freshmanny

Charlee 04-20-2009 04:19 PM

ok have fun taking all the contaminants out of the primer once you are ready to paint. i dont know how you are going to do that. Every body man i have talked to does not recomend this. Even my auto body instructor. but hey it is his ride.

krowndking 04-21-2009 09:24 AM

Ok, not trying to argue or say im right and someones wrong. So let it be known I am typing this strictly for info. Now I never once said its reccomended why would anyone reccomend priming your car and just leaving it?of course its easier and more logical to just prime then paint, sometimes its not that easy. So for certain ppl/occasions maybe things may need to be done differently to accomodate their needs. Now lets think about this logically. 2k primer uses a hardener therefore it is not a porous substrate. 2nd when u primer a car you have to sand it b4 u paint it so you would be sanding off the top surface of the primer (which was introduced to any contaminates). Now if a laquer primer was used I could then see issues arrising. Which is why I mentioned not to do this if you are using laquer primer. In closing I ask your clear coat on your car uses a hardener right?...have u ever seen it absorb contminates underneath it? If you have your clear would be peeling off. Longevity of paint is all in the prep and the product. But hey what do I know?

2000hondasi 04-22-2009 10:59 PM

oh my god thats funny as hell I paint for a living and krowndking is absolutly right 2k is the way to go

Mr.Teal 04-22-2009 11:10 PM

No one cares your new MR. I paint.

Primer and paint as soon as you can. even with a better primer there is still particles that get in it causing the final paint process to not be as good as it could, thus having to do it twice.
:smirk:

70TWO NOVA 04-23-2009 06:03 PM

i shot the my bros Nova in 2k demension and left if out for at least 6-8 months before paint and it was fine, of course it was sanded before paint so any contamination would have been eliminated then....
I only use 2k.

Charlee 04-23-2009 07:08 PM

who cares what people say its right or not . you should lay base ASAP after primer. if you are trying t make a buck and priming some ricer's Honda because he cant afford real paint, then go for it, but I for sure will never do that to my car. its extra work. some contaminants you will never get out no matter what you say. and MR painter im sure that's not good for it.

Charlee 04-23-2009 07:10 PM

did you use wax remover or something before you sanded? i have seen your work it turns out fucking tits.

70TWO NOVA 04-23-2009 07:38 PM

yeah i wipe the car down with wax/grease remover at each stage. thanks im slowly learning...

krowndking 04-24-2009 10:18 AM

Wow this thread was started with a question that someone just wondered what they should do. Everyone should try and help. Not talk crap back and forth.

70TWO NOVA 04-24-2009 10:23 AM

i agree, take the advice for what it is....advice.
Ive found that if you ask 5 people one question youre probably going to get 5 different answers. I just give my two cents and move on, talking crap doesnt make you sound any more experienced IMO....

krowndking 04-24-2009 11:48 AM

So when a guy who paints for a living says the same thing he's wrong and becomes MR.Paint? I don't understand...

nickjdmintegra 04-24-2009 12:24 PM

some people think that they know everything ! shut the hell up! if you drive a car with primer it is fine! if you have it done the right way! the only reason that you would have to take it all the way off is if it starts to bubble and that means that you or who ever did it didnt prep the surface well enogh! that is the only reason! other than that, if it is done right, it keeps out rust and everything else! i can get it done for you ! I work at larry miller body shop! the biggest body shop in az and the 5th biggest in the nation! hit me up!

70TWO NOVA 04-24-2009 05:36 PM

im by no means a pro or claiming to be, if you dont want to listen to people who have some experience then oh well your loss.

I think peoples expericence shows through there work.
i just know whats worked for me, the advice ive gotten and dont beleive thats the only way.
I just look at it as if its not broke then dont fix it.

krowndking 04-24-2009 06:00 PM

That post was not at all referred to you. I don't talk crap nor am I now. If you read the above posts ppl started to say crap when someone else was just trying to help. I just thot it was funny that when someone else said the same thing ppl had to to be rude. That's why I posted what I did.

70TWO NOVA 04-24-2009 06:07 PM

yeah i kinda figured it out after i posted, my bad lol
i just dont get why people think their way is the only way, obviously there are alot of talented painters here and the work speaks for itself, you guys beleive who you wanna beleive...

krowndking 04-27-2009 08:44 AM

Its kool man no worries. What you say is very true. And this whole thing makes me laugh seeing as how I just painted a truck thats been in primer since 05! And had absolutely no problems at all...

70TWO NOVA 04-27-2009 10:48 AM

yeah your truck has been in primer a while too hasnt it? i see it parked on the side of the building all the time...

krowndking 04-27-2009 01:25 PM

Anyways just my experience with primer...I had no issues