AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   EG Civic/Del Sol + DC Integra (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   "Cricket chirping" sounds. Please help (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=139853)

shouldabotahonda 12-10-2010 10:21 PM

"Cricket chirping" sounds. Please help

Ok, I have a 98 DC GSR, and I have a very irritating issue. Any time Im not pressisng in the clutch pedal, it "chirps". It sounds like a cricket, until I press on the clutch again. It doesnt matter whether its in neutral or in gear, it does it all the time, and is very irritating. (I want to shoot myself! Lol) The sound stops even with the lightest pressure on the pedal (like when I rest my foot on it)...

My buddy heard it, and said it could be the throw out bearing (thrust bearing). Well Ive done some research, and a worn bearing makes noise only when you push in the clutch pedal (or am I wrong). I dont think its the throw out bearing then...

So that being said, can the clutch fork be the issue? Does it need to be lubricated? Or does it sound like its junk, and I need to get a new one. The guy I bought the car from said it started doin it to him, said he thought the fork had bent, and was rattling on the bell housing. But would it make that kind of noise?

Anyways, any help/Insight would be greatly appreciated. I need to get rid of this sound! Lol. Its so ear piercing, and utterly annoying.

Honda4Life. 12-10-2010 10:29 PM

If it stops with just resting your foot on it that should be enough pressure to disengage anything in the trans. I would actually look at the pedal assembly.

Worn bushing or spring.

What side of the car is it coming from (driver or passenger)? Inside or outside the car?

auex 12-11-2010 08:55 AM

Just try to lubricate the fork. If that doesn't work then you can try to find a way to grease the throwout bearing i guess,

Mr.Burner 12-11-2010 09:07 AM

I doubt your clutch release fork is bent... you prolly just need a throw out bearing. Most of these swaps and motors are 10-15 years old now and need some new parts...

just grease the trans when you take it apart for service.

chakaloso_02 12-11-2010 09:36 AM

sound to me like a mainshaft bearing. or throw out bearing.
when you push the clutch in the main shaft stops spinning causing it to stop making noise. Once you let it out again, it starts spinning making noise.

you also said that with the slightest presure it stops. The slightest pressure is not enough to stop the main shaft so i doubt it is that. Im about 80% sure its going to be the throw out bearing like mr.burner said, because when u put a little bit of pressure on the worn out throw out bearing itll make it stop spining, making the noise go away.

shouldabotahonda 12-11-2010 09:44 AM

I was afraid you guys would say that... Well Ill grease the fork, jus to make sure, but if its the bearing like yall are sayin, will it hurt anythin if I dont get to it for awhile? I plan on replacing the clutch in a few months, will it be ok til then? Or should I just suck it up, and do the hours worth of work to break it open, and just replace it.

chakaloso_02 12-11-2010 10:03 AM

noise will just get worse until the bearing finally separates. itll still hold up depending on ur driving.

when u replace the clutch replace all of this.
clutch
throw out beating
and the little bearing on the flywheel

you might have to take the flywheel off but its worth it (this is why main shaft bearings go bad)
only like 5 dollars. pretty easy to change, i used a socket to take it out and install a new one.
when u install the flywheel use locktite and torque to specs.

if you want to go even further, crack the tranny open and change both main shaft bearings.

No.17

No.18

chakaloso_02 12-11-2010 10:04 AM

B series transmission how to

shouldabotahonda 12-11-2010 11:23 PM

Thats some good stuff chakaloso... thanks man

auex 12-11-2010 11:36 PM

It isn't that hard to replace the main shaft bearing on the d series either if you have the transmission out. just have to crack it open.

chakaloso_02 12-12-2010 03:25 PM

you are welcome :thewave:

theAngryMarmot 12-12-2010 03:53 PM

When was the last time you fed the crickets? Maybe they are hungry/horny?

shouldabotahonda 12-12-2010 09:35 PM

^^^ LOL... Maybe theyre upset. I offered one to my iguana the other day, and I guess this is their way of retaliating...