AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   Photography (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   first time virgin! lol (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=188483)

1017Tegra 04-10-2013 10:01 AM

first time virgin! lol

Im on the market, looking to buy my first camera. what would be a great camera to start with? I have no experince in pic or cam. What would you guy recommend?

jKow 04-12-2013 07:29 PM

RESEARCH! Honestly if you wanna mess around get something used and play with it. I found an old cannon DLSR on Craigslist for cheap. OR if you're gonna get serious, buy the best lens you can afford!

JDM Jon 04-13-2013 11:22 AM

I have a nikon d90 for sale and comes with a 50mm lens. Asking 500obo. Look into that camera and let me know if you're interested.

nelsmar 04-13-2013 03:16 PM

/endthread. Pickup this^

If you want to get into shooting just go buy anything that fits you. It really doesn't. If you are wanting to get into actual shooting i always recommend sticking to nikon & sony only because they are the "popular" and its easier to get gear and accessories unless pentax etc.

They all take the same photos minus the low light quality and resolution for large scale printing (billboards and commercial only need apply). Anything with a fixed lens such as a 35mm or 50mm on a cheap used body is the best bet.

1017Tegra 04-21-2013 06:12 PM

Text you
what do i look for when buying a used camera?

nelsmar 04-22-2013 02:24 PM

If your buying an entry level? Not too much honestly. If you are asking what kind of camera to look for used thats another answer all together. Before buying anything used i always take a number of sample shots against my own equipment to compare sharpness, ca etc on the glass. And i shoot a number of shots to make sure the camera is consistant. If i was buying a used camera i would take a sky shot and check how much dust there is (you will see spots in the blue that are dark spots from dust). Which isn't really a huge deal because you can get it cleaned but its good to know.

If you are wanting something more along the lines of a point and shoot look up a Fuji X100, i just picked up a Fuji X100s and i absolutely love it as a daily cary around camera. It has a lot more control and support that someone of my camera experience desires day to day, but the weight & size of a cary around camera (although a few restrictions such as no lens swaps, no zoom etc). I recommend one of these as a "entry" hybrid between point and shoot & DSLR.

rudsone 04-22-2013 03:33 PM

Nikon ftw. Go to bestbuy or any shop that has dslr's and just play with them for bit. See which one feels better in your hand and there ya go. IMO Nikon felt the best for me but that does not mean it's a superior camera. canon lenses seem to be cheaper btw

honduh_head 04-22-2013 05:59 PM

that

that

annnnd that. i'm on my second Nikon. however if you want video thats worth a shit, go with canon.

xdunaticx 04-30-2013 12:06 PM

Nikon has never been huge into video, I've always been a canon fan. But once you get into the d300's and up, nikon is closely comparable to canon.

JDM Jon 04-30-2013 12:30 PM

I just picked up the d7100 with hd video. It was an awesome upgrade from my d90 :bigsmile:

tricken 05-02-2013 08:35 PM

I would look into sony
used minolta af glass works great and is out there
just picked up a decent sigma 18-50 3.5-5.6 and a 50mm f2.8 macro for 20 bucks the macro goes used for 200 plus
also have gotten other great deals cause mose people think it is trash a 70-210 f4 30 bucks multible 50mm 1.7 for 30 bucks
deals are out ther but go play with what is right for you

nex is also a nice choice 2

nelsmar 05-06-2013 11:07 AM

I usually recommend away from sony as rentals are less common. Less people use it so its harder to borrow equip from friends. And flash equipment... there is very little high end support w/o adapters for flash equipment. Yes there is a lot of support but nothing compared to nikon & canon.

Sony makes some great equip but being "different" isn't always good when shooting. I like that the body has a built in IS for more entry level photos i think it is a great feature. But personally i prefer easier to obtain flash equipment & rentals.

And the nex is pretty great, ive used one and loved it. However fuji > nex 100% of the time. mmmmmmm