AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   Accord + Prelude (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   4-5 conversion (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=196889)

backyardleather 04-01-2014 01:03 PM

4-5 conversion

Im trying to swap out my 4 lug spindles in to 5 lug setup. i have a set of stock 5 lug rimes i want to put on my accord but i have a 4 lug set up right now. anyone have some advice and if its even worth doing it. (1999 accord 4 door)

Expeditious 04-23-2014 06:39 PM

No performance gain, no fuel mileage gain, and no value gain. That's a lot to go through just to put some rims on your car.

Is it worth it, no. Is putting a wide body kit on a 200hp civic worth it, no. For some reason, people like it and they do it anyway. The question is not, is it worth it. The question is, is it worth it to you?

phatman 04-23-2014 11:15 PM

Who cares about gains? He has a set of wheels he wants to use. No harm in that. Sheesh.

Used my Google-Fu and found

It'll be time consuming, but it'll get you a 5 lug setup fairly easily. And given you're running 4 lug now, I'm assuming you've got rear drums. This will obviously upgrade your rears to disc which are better anyways, even if the front end takes more of the brunt of braking.

Good luck sir. :D

Expeditious 04-24-2014 02:03 AM

Hey, he wanted to know if it is worth it.

I do have to take back what I said after reading Skinny_Gurls post. If you have rear drums, it may be worth it. You can gain huge brake power with aftermarket parts and even lighten your load a bit.

Fix.it.again.Tony 04-24-2014 06:12 AM

I doubt he'll ever use the car in such a manner that the braking upgrade will be that noticeable.

AZ_CIVIC 04-24-2014 06:41 AM

It's not worth it, sell the rims and buy something different.

S!K TEG 04-24-2014 12:46 PM

Since when are stock disc brakes superior to drums?

Fix.it.again.Tony 04-24-2014 01:24 PM

wut?

Chuck Chainz 04-24-2014 01:27 PM

Don't mind him, he's in Texas. Steers and queers buddy, steers and queers.

jdm egizzle 6 04-26-2014 01:34 PM

better rim selections, if you have drum then its worth it. easy to install, all the reasons i did it. is it worth it? to me it was. car stops way better than before. almost got into an accident with stock brake set up as it wouldnt slow down fast enough(had new brakes and rotors too).
something someone says that cant afford it, or is to lazy to do. why do so many civic guys go for 5lug?

Fix.it.again.Tony 04-26-2014 02:57 PM

because normally they are stolen and dirt cheap prices.

AZ_CIVIC 04-26-2014 03:39 PM

I don't know many Civic guys who buy it.. I spent my money on a 2000 dollar KS Tuned rear trailing kit and am swapping a full EG subframe, brand new rack and pinion, King Pin Machines compliance bushing set and new spherical bearing FLCA's in my car this weekend. Next Strang Engineering Drag coils, so yes I can't afford the 5 lug LOL..

phatman 04-26-2014 07:42 PM

Disc > Drums any day. Especially when it comes to replacing pads. I hate drums because they're old technology and a pain the rear to change.

Nachooooosupreme 04-27-2014 08:21 AM

To each his own but a 99 accord? I'd pass and do what az_civic suggested!

phatman 04-28-2014 01:40 AM

Pfft. What do Civic guys know about Accords? :P

Nachooooosupreme 04-28-2014 06:45 AM

That's cute!

jdm egizzle 6 04-28-2014 03:30 PM

true thats why i got an accord, not to mention all civics look alike now
thats nice you can afford all that, although people steal civic all the time and use the parts or sell them not many accords get stolen nor hooked up. as far as going 5 lug, there is not much of a good selection of rims for 4x114.3 bolt patern.
why pass? just as easy as a civic to swap, i have a 98 and did the conversion. problem?

not much apparently
it is cute! till you get schooled

S!K TEG 04-28-2014 07:00 PM

I know that disc are lighter but drums have better stopping power.

Well atleast that's what I read last time.

S!K TEG 04-28-2014 07:04 PM

:ghey::kiss:

Tuned Out Tom 04-28-2014 09:48 PM

If drums are better than why do so few new cars have them??? why not put some on a lambo? oh drum brakes suck thats why. now i remember why i never liked civics... the owners. go with the disk in the rear if you dont already even if you don't drive the car hard you will stop better even in the rain or when they get wet. az gets lots of rain you know...

Nachooooosupreme 04-28-2014 10:41 PM

:this-guy_2:
Are you the guy who couldn't afford the ex edition so you bought the dx and swore you'd make it like an ex? Are you the guy who doesn't like civics because you've never owned one? Are you asshurt I don't own an accord like you? Do you have jock itch?

Boy I've been working on Hondas since the early 90s FYI - just about the same time you were popping pimples on your face before middle school started!

Watch you say to grown folk punk!

Chuck Chainz 04-28-2014 11:50 PM

Glad I'm an "Integra" guy... No douché bag integra owners

phatman 04-29-2014 04:08 AM

;)

Just having some fun on ye olde internet. :wave1:

S!K TEG 04-29-2014 06:52 AM

Are we talking about high performance cars? No so gtfo. Stock for stock drums > than disc. Disc always get a better rep is because they are lighter, easier to change pads and people like the way they looks.

When I was looking to build a track car, you'd be surprised how many prefer drums over disc. They eventually do disc to have more upgrades.

What I was saying stock for stock drums > disc.

Fix.it.again.Tony 04-29-2014 07:38 AM

no they aren't not even stock for stock.

About.com

"What is the difference between disc brakes and drum brakes?

Disc brakes are generally considered superior to drum brakes for several reasons. First, they dissipate heat better (brakes work by converting motion energy to heat energy). Under severe usage, such as repeated hard stops or riding the brakes down a long incline, disc brakes take longer to lose effectiveness (a condition known as brake fade). Disc brakes also perform better in wet weather, because centrifugal force tends to fling water off the brake disc and keep it dry, whereas drum brakes will collect some water on the inside surface where the brake shoes contact the drums.

Why do so many cars still use rear drum brakes?

All cars sold in the United States use disc brakes for the front wheels, but many cars still use drum brakes in the rear. Braking causes the car's weight to shift forward, and as a result about 70% of the work is done by the front brakes. (That's why your front brakes tend to wear out faster.) By fitting disc brakes to the front wheels and drum brakes to the rear wheels, manufacturers can provide most of the benefits of disc brakes while lowering costs. (Drum brakes are less expensive to make than disc brakes, largely because they can also double as a parking brake, whereas disc brakes require a separate parking brake mechanism.) Even so, a car with four-wheel disc brakes (versus front disc/rear drum) will still provide superior braking performance in wet weather and on long downgrades. (That said, you should always downshift and let the engine control the car's speed on long downgrades.)"

Fix.it.again.Tony 04-29-2014 07:39 AM

they are cheaper, thats the only reason. and the brake bias of most vehicles doesn't require strong brakes in the rear

AZ_CIVIC 04-29-2014 08:15 AM

So back to the orignal question.. Is a 4-5 lug conversion worth it? I am not an Accord guy and really have no idea what options are available for 4 lug drums. If the accords came with 4 lug rear disk brakes I would go that route. I am sure buying rear trailing arms with disks is cheaper than buying an entire 5 lug swap.

If not and you want rear disks so bad your only option is to go with a 5 lug conversion go for it.
As far as advantages I guess it depends on what you are doing. I am currently only running from brakes on my setup, no rear brakes. My rear disks are hooked up to a staging brake and that is it.
As for my fronts I basically have a GSR spindle and brake setup, nothing special and just the front brakes alone are stopping my car at almost 140 MPH trap speeds.

So like I said if you can get 4 lug rear disk brakes for the rear that would be the better and cheaper option. If you can't than go for the 5 lug conversion..

Tuned Out Tom 04-29-2014 06:43 PM

I love korean trannys nailed it hard and for the win. lol racing at 140 mph speeds with no rear brakes?
they do have 4 lug rear disk's for accords the 5 lug is not really worth it other than larger brake rotors in the front and more rim options. I have on my 01 accord slotted/drilled rotors with akibono pads and it stops on a dime. well it used to stop on a dime does not move much these days.

PENTAGRAM_OF_EVIL 04-29-2014 08:14 PM

OK I'm going to jump in. I converted mine to five lug for one main reason. My 5th gen was drums in rear and hub over rotor in the front. I can't. Stand the hub over rotor, that is the stupidest thing Honda did for the accord. I spent less than 500 to replace everything and all of it was new. Bearings, hubs, rotors, pads, lines......also the 5th gen is really easy to do. And for all of you who haven't done brakes on an accord you will hate changing them in the front when you have to pull the whole spindal.

AZ_CIVIC 04-29-2014 08:51 PM

Yes my rear brakes are only hooked up to a staging brake. Most real drag racers only use front brakes and a staging brake for rears, especially fwd cars using skinnies in the rear.