AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   ECU/Programming/Electronics (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   How small of a battety can I use for battery relocation? (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=125919)

sofresh 05-11-2010 09:40 AM

How small of a battety can I use for battery relocation?

So, I've been reading up on the size of the battery needed to use in my battery relocation. I am relocating the battery to the passenger side inside the front bumper. I noticed a lot of people are using either a Buddy Club Racing Battery or an Odyssey Battery. My questions are, what is the minimum that the cold cranking amps need to be, and etc.

I daily drive the car as of now, its a 2000 Civic SI, not stereo upgrades, just leaving it stock. So how small of a battery can I use?

I saw some guys on HT using motorcycle batteries and some even used riding Lawn Mower batteries lol. So, what can I use and not have die on me when out driving, etc.

Thanks in advance!

AZ_CIVIC 05-11-2010 10:08 AM

I used a motorcycle battery and it worked, but I didn't but with that car it was just a track car that had no stereo, ac, power anything. Not sure how well it will do with having all of those things.

sofresh 05-11-2010 10:18 AM

Awesome thanks :)

I have no A/c, no PS, no Cruise Control as well. So do you think a motorcycle battery would still be good?

nelsmar 05-11-2010 10:28 AM

iirc is a popular one. Its low amp's keep in mind. They do have a race series as well thats fairly light you might want to look into. Track junkies use them pretty often. But searching on HT quite a few people complain about how weak they are (i mean cmon its a motorcycle battery lol).

Once the car is running the alternator should generate enough power on its own, and you just need the battery to have a slight pool incase you under rev etc. Try unplugging your battery when the car is on, it shouldn't die :)

sofresh 05-11-2010 10:38 AM

Thanks, thats the one I was looking to go with, seems like the popular choice. I was just curious to know if there were any other decent brands out there for the same or less $$

crxhfb16 05-11-2010 10:39 AM

i have the odyssey pc680 haven't had any problems with it my buddy uses a $35 lawn mower battery in his 240 that last him about a year

OBDXherr13 01-28-2014 04:59 PM

Hey guys, i know this is an old ass thread but i am doing the same thing. relocating the battery to behind the passenger side bumper. im not worried about battery size. i just want to make sure that to run at the track doing this with out a cut off switch or sealed box will be track legal. I can only find info for trunk mounted batteries... does anyone have any experience with the bumper mounted relocation and running them at the track??

king06 01-28-2014 05:06 PM

no cut off switch or box needed since it is not in the cabin or in the trunk.

OBDXherr13 01-28-2014 05:10 PM

Thats what i thought from all my reading. just wanted to be sure. much appreciated. :you rock:

squishmitten 07-06-2014 10:25 AM

Bumping old threads.

I'm looking into the Odyssey pc680 and was just curious if anyone has had issues with it here in this AZ heat.

AZ_CIVIC 07-06-2014 10:48 AM

This is actually false if the battery is not located in the factory spot you need a battery cut off. I was at Wild Horse Pass and my battery is located behind the bumper I have passed before like this but was told by another worker a few months ago I need a battery cut off. He told me it doesn't matter where it is located, if it is not in the factory spot it needs a cut off.

Now sometimes you can get away with it like I had many times but it only takes that one guy to say no. I haven't done mine yet but I am going to soon.

Chuck Chainz 07-06-2014 10:55 AM

I've had a couple... The first on lasted almost 5yrs. And the last one is still going strong.

You shouldn't have a problem with them.

king06 07-06-2014 12:58 PM

Ahhhhhh, I guess it all depends on the tech inspecting. They're all over the place sometimes.

I've heard mixed reviews, because they are gel? some people say our alternators are not compatible.

Here's more

AZ_CIVIC 07-06-2014 02:29 PM

Yep in 6 years no one said anything to me before up until a few months ago. He told me that next time if I don't have a battery cut off I couldn't run. The funny thing is that when I went for tech inspection for IFO no one said anything. So for test and tune you need a battery cut off but not for an event and each inspector has their own rules LOL.

king06 07-06-2014 03:03 PM

If they have a small turn out they will say fuck it to all kinds of stuff. "you wearing shorts? Ill let it pass this time, but next time your not running!" lol its all about the money.

Chuck Chainz 07-06-2014 03:33 PM

First time I hear bout the alternator thing. From personal experience I don't see any truth to it.
My brother and I had them in Hondas (D16/B16) and my other bro in his MR2 (3SGTE).

S!K TEG 07-07-2014 09:22 AM

Is that the quote you were referring too?