AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   Accord + Prelude (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Head-on valve seal job. (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=203664)

samu 09-28-2016 04:02 PM

Head-on valve seal job.

What's the best spring compressor form a head-on valve seal job?

king06 09-30-2016 07:46 AM

Never down it head on, but I've used this one and if works with 100lb Springs, it will be cake in a stock head.

BlueTeg 10-03-2016 10:43 AM

I used this tool last week for the first time to change out some valvetrain components.

(I did not use the valve seal tool, just spring compressor)

For removal, either the one I posted or the type that King06 posted will work just fine.
But for reassembly, the one posted will keep both of your hands free to focus on placing the valve keepers back in place.

The one King06 posted will require to manually apply pressure the entire time you're trying to fit the keeper in with your other hand.

samu 10-04-2016 09:46 AM

I was debating between that one and the Lisle 36050.

samu 10-04-2016 09:49 AM

Does it work on f22s??? I thought about ordering that one but wasn't sure that it was going to work with the f22a I'm working on and didn't want to wait a week and find out it wasn't.

samu 10-04-2016 09:52 AM

From the videos I seen, it seems like the Lisle works pretty well on any car. I'll see when it gets here.

king06 10-04-2016 11:48 AM

I was thinking of getting that one, just looks like it takes forever to work with since you do two at a time. The one I have is still a pain in the ass since B series heads are so fined and the springs are super stiff.

samu 10-04-2016 04:29 PM

Any of you 2 knows where I can pick up tools like this locally instead of having to wait for shipping next time I need something.

king06 10-04-2016 05:52 PM

Maybe those expensive tool trucks. I don't see anybody having it.

BlueTeg 10-04-2016 08:28 PM

That one looks like the ones that you just hit it with a hammer. Probably fine for removal but that would take alot of finesse to get them back on by just pressing down on that tool....especially if the head is not anchored to something.

I would go with the lever type that King06 posted or the one that posted over that one...

BlueTeg 10-04-2016 08:35 PM

The exact one that I linked to? No, it will not. A
I was showing that one to illustrate the difference in tool operation. Looks like they do make one for the F22 though:
At the bottom of the page it offers you an option to add on a valve seal tool for a few bucks extra. I ordered mine direct from the company vs. going with one of the knockoff guys like VMS or Streetrays...

BlueTeg 10-04-2016 08:43 PM

Agreed. If I was a tech and doing this more than once, I would actually get one of each.
The one you posted is absolutely faster for removal since you only have to position the anchor bolts once for the intake side and once for the exhaust side vs. 8 different positions for the one I bought. I would estimate that it would take about 5 minutes or less to strip the springs out of the head with the one you posted vs. 20+ minutes for the one I bought.

But like you said, on the install, that lever type one is a PITA since you are basically working one handed to place the valve keepers in while applying pressure with the other hand.

The EuroExport one does take a little longer to move from cylinder to cylinder, but I bet on install it's the same if not less time than the lever type since you have both hands and you can usually get the keepers to set on your first try. Screwing the anchor bolts for the tool in and out is pretty quick. I used a socket wrench on the first go round for removal of the valve springs and by the end, when I was installing the new dual valve springs I was just spinning the anchor bolts in and out using my fingers.

BlueTeg 10-04-2016 08:47 PM

this ^

I got mine pretty fast. Just give them a call if you need it ASAP and have them overnight it. It will still be way cheaper to do that vs. buying something similar from Strap-On or Matco.

samu 10-08-2016 04:07 PM

Bought the Lisle 36050. Easiest and fastes tool I have ever used to replace springs, valve stem seals, valves etc.

king06 10-09-2016 12:31 AM

That works great for stock "soft" springs.

Good tool to have.