AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   B20 overheat issue, stumped!!! (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=189770)

Broskiballa 05-19-2013 02:08 PM

B20 overheat issue, stumped!!!

Hello,

So my bassist has been having an issue with his b20 where the asshole overheats. We have spent months trying to fix this bastard. We purchased a hmo b20. Have replaced everything on this engine.
-Headgasket
-Head was machined to ensure no warping. The head was cleaned as well.
-We properly installed brand new water pump, oil pump, thermostat, intake manifold. Put everything together. Burped coolant system. Replaced every single hose. bypassed heater core. Brand new heater radiator. I don't get it... We're fucking stumped out of our minds.

any suggestions?

taintschwacker 05-19-2013 02:19 PM

Have you checked to see if the cooling fan comes on? There is a fan switch on the thermostat housing. See if it comes on and if it dont, jump the connector with a wire and see if it comes on. Also check to see if the rear water tube seal is not leaking. Check to see if heater core is not leaking neither.

ajax57 05-19-2013 02:31 PM

The fans come on and heater core is bypassed

Broskiballa 05-19-2013 02:37 PM

Yup! ^

Hellsinki 05-19-2013 03:04 PM

Brand new thermostat bad maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broskiballa 05-19-2013 03:35 PM

Checked it by boiling it it opens up

A_integra1012 05-19-2013 03:59 PM

Whta kinda fans are you using? Oem or cheap aftermarket?

Nachooooosupreme 05-19-2013 04:38 PM

Dmub question: are the fans facing the right way?

ajax57 05-19-2013 04:55 PM

Oem integra fans and yes fans are installed properly. The car will only over heat at idle after quite a while but when you drive, it over heats within a few hundred feet.

taintschwacker 05-19-2013 05:25 PM

Where did you get the waterpump from? Sounds like a flow problem.

MADJDM 05-19-2013 05:58 PM

You sure your temp gauge is working? I didn't see you mentioned anything on that. I had the same issue once and turned out to be the gauge on cluster ! Gl. Did HMO warrantee it for u at all??

A_integra1012 05-19-2013 05:59 PM

Oem thermostat or aftermarket?

mr.DUNK 05-19-2013 06:00 PM

Did you check the block for warpage?
Radiator cap good?

Check for cracks on the cylinders when it was apart?

Hellsinki 05-19-2013 06:09 PM

You sure the fans are staying on when you start driving? Does it overheat on the highway also , or just low speed? Was it overheating before all the work was done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RHD_GeRmZ 05-19-2013 06:17 PM

Replace yoiur radiator cap and the fuel filter. I had the same problem once

Broskiballa 05-19-2013 06:38 PM

Rhdgermz- Fuel filter? Brand new radiator cap as well.

Hellsinki- the last engine did in fact over heat and die. Fans are staying on. it's overheating before we can get to high speeds.

Mrdunk- new radiator cap. Have multiple to use. Overheated with all of them. Cylinders appeared to be in excellent shape. Head was machined but the block was not however. Head gasket was replaced because engine was overheating before.

Aintegra1012- oem thermostat, OEM sensors and fans.

Madjdm- temperature gauge is working 100%. It was an engine ballsmegerk sold us. that he purchased from hmo

Taintsmacker- all parts are oem Honda

Broskiballa 05-19-2013 06:41 PM

What about the the stock coolant piping that's behind the block. Could air sneak in from a faulty oring? Any common spots where an unnoticed clog can develope? It does in fact seem to me like a flow issue. Or air somehow still sneaking into the system

PandaBear 05-19-2013 06:55 PM

Throw an itr water pump on it and double check the part number on the head gasket.

RHD_GeRmZ 05-19-2013 07:16 PM

Yea man I really don't know why my shit was over heating and once I changed the fuel filter it never overheated again

A_integra1012 05-19-2013 07:25 PM

I'm pretty sure if the oring where bad where it meets the pump and at the t-stat housing it would be leaking coolant . Try putting on a old thermo stat but cut the actually theremo stat off so that water can just keep flowing threw and see if it still over heats.

Nachooooosupreme 05-19-2013 07:39 PM

Rad cap??

Hellsinki 05-19-2013 08:30 PM

The only way that would be possible is if the car was running lean & pulling timing like crazy...so yeah..

INTEGRA DC2 05-19-2013 08:30 PM

when you say it overheats, does it show it on the gauge or boil over in the overflow??

taintschwacker 05-19-2013 08:34 PM

You could have a warped block,clogged or cracked water jacket, or cracked cylinder. You really need a coolant pressure tester to see if you bleed down and if so where. Also a boroscope would help to see if in the cylinder. No excessive water coming out of the tailpipe on startup? No stumble when starting or smell of coolant when warm?

Hellsinki 05-19-2013 08:37 PM

also, does the car have a catalytic converter? If that was clogged, it could cause the motor to run hot....pulling at strings..

Hellsinki 05-19-2013 08:54 PM

All of that totally makes sense, but it seems the problem was there before this motor combo was replaced, that's not to say there isn't a problem with the long block, but I would look at everything that wasn't replaced during the motor swap.

Is there airflow to the radiator? Could the A/C condenser be so dirty that it's preventing airflow to the radiator?

I would LOVE to work on this car to find out the problem..I wish I had the time.

taintschwacker 05-19-2013 09:25 PM

I have to ask... did you guys make SURE the headgasket was on properly? With dowel pins and all.

ajax57 05-19-2013 09:59 PM

yes, new dowel pins and arp head studs were used.

i cleaned the ac condenser when the new radiator was installed. hahaha guess one man's nightmare is another mans challenge.

yes it does i suppose i'll look into this. We have never considered it.

ill have to look into the pressure tester that's not something i have used before but sound usueful for this situation. there is no water in the tail pipe, no stumble, i have a some what weak sense of smell but i didnt notice a coolant smell and i can usually,

we are going off the gauge reading we have never let it get to the point of boiling since the new headgasket for fear of damaging something.

yea i dont see a leak in that area, but at this point thats the only thing we have yet to replace. i would assume it would leak too but im thinking it may only be sucking air in from this location when the cars driven. i ran the car with out the thermostat before the head work and it didn't fix the issue. however i'm most likely going to replace the o ring and take out the thermostat again tomorrow.

RHD_GeRmZ 05-19-2013 10:17 PM

Maybe but it helped my case bro lol

C.R.A.Y. 05-19-2013 10:37 PM

put a known good temp sender in or use a ir temp reader on the top hose to verify in fact that it is overheating