AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   All Motor (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   simple motor building question (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=103079)

paintball 07-24-2009 10:44 PM

simple motor building question

ok, so dont go flamin on me but i have been searchin for information on the mechanics of honda engines for a while now, and it seems like i cant get the information im lookin for.

my plan was to build the motor in my d16 in order to make it reliable enough to turbo. but yes 2+2=4 and that involves having to know the mechanics of hoisting engines/ dissasembling these motors/ removing pieces and draining lines, exetra. i understand the basics of this but where do i go to find the important stuff. i hear, 'oh hondatech.com..' 'd-series.org',
but none of these sites are helping. it seems they expect you would know the basics of chipping an ECU. and broad ideas oh how i should plan before i go turbo, but none of it explains the exact process of engine building.
now im new at this, but i need to start somewhere and hondatech isnt doin it. Please dont tell me to get an owners manual too, cause thats not what im lookin for, unfortunately.
i guess what im really asking is where a good place to start is. once again i understand the logistics of everything, i can do great body work, but when it comes to organizing a couple wires onto a relay, or desoldering metal so i can instal an ecu chip for vtec, i lost..
links that i have not previously listed would be very helpfull. thanks

Mr.Burner 07-25-2009 12:56 AM

If I were you, I'd get a book. and not a shit one. Like the one the dealer uses, i think its a Helms?

I've been building motors for years and still flip back and look at the book.....

best tool i think you'll need, everything else is easy.

honduh_head 07-25-2009 09:55 AM

very true. this is how i started ^... pick one up, hell even a chilton manual can be helpful at times.

nothing is better than experience though. tear down a motor and rebuild it. if it starts and runs on the first try then you did it right. if not, tear it down and do it again. you're prolly not going to find a complete how-to on building something, although i have posted some links in my stickies that may be informative as well.

good luck!

paintball 07-25-2009 10:03 AM

thanks ft help, just tryin to find that helms book, inc says i dont have a valid dealership in my zip code.

edit:

k i found this,

is this something i want to get?

nuocmam 07-25-2009 10:08 AM

or you can look up the sticky threads in honda-tech or other honda forums; or forums would work great for you.
tons of information is available on the internet, you just have to have patience and know where to search.

honduh_head 07-25-2009 02:26 PM

yes that will be very helpful! if you can stand paying $50 for a book ;)

paintball 07-25-2009 02:27 PM

hehe i just brought both those links up in my first post but thx anyways.

i think im going to get the service manual and just straight study it

RiceK 07-29-2009 02:29 PM

Are you asking what to consider when going turbo???

Unfortunately that's where you are going to have to start.

I wouldn't worry so much on chipping an ECU for vtec it is much simpler to get an ECU for vtec and go from there.

BDD 08-03-2009 11:59 AM

pm me and I can tell you were to download the helms manuel online for free

nuocmam 08-03-2009 01:54 PM

why don't you just post on here so everyone can get access to it?
that would be most helpful and beneficial.
just my opinion

BDD 08-03-2009 01:59 PM

dont know if Im allowed cuz its a different honda site

Agent Smith 08-03-2009 07:00 PM

we are not honda-tech nazi's

honduh_head 08-04-2009 01:14 AM

haha for real ^

BDD 08-04-2009 09:11 AM

Well in that case, they are on You have to sign up then you can download manuals.

hondafan2 08-04-2009 03:12 PM

do you have to pay to sign up?

BDD 08-04-2009 09:38 PM

nope

ae86ftw 08-25-2009 04:52 AM

id say youre quite a ways away from building a motor. pulling one out? maybe, but to build one, you need to know a lot more than can be found reading online for a few weeks. like how to use a mic, what needs to be measured, where and how to measure, proper torquing techniques, not to mention TOOLS.

shops get paid to build motors for a reason.

hellshock2182 08-25-2009 01:18 PM

For sure! if you don't know where the major wear points are on your engine, you'll never be able to measure what needs to be within spec. I suggest getting your bottom end put together by a reputable shop. That way if there is something wrong at least you'll have someone with a decent knowledge base to turn to.

If you really want to learn how to build engines, apprentice at a machine shop, tell them you'd like to hang around and clean up in trade for some knowledge.