AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Getting in shape (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=201616)

beil93 06-29-2015 10:51 PM

Getting in shape

Hello all!

I'm looking to get myself back into shape and thought i tried to ask here for a bit of advice. I'll get staight to the point, I'm a big guy for my age and by big I'm a 300+ guy. I need to change that. So now I'm here and I have a problem.

Have I made any changes to my life style? Yes, I cut out any type of soda and I only drink mainly water 100% of my days. Is it much? No bit its a start. Now I'm trying to cut out fast food and that's really about it and I'd like to start eating healthy.

I'm looking to start going to a gym, I'll probably trying 24hr fitness. I recently ran into an old co worker at my job who was here advertising his work (24hr fitness). We got to chatting a bit before I went into work and long story short he offered me a 2 week free pass to 24hr fitness. I plan to give it a try there with the pass to see how it goes then if i like it there ill continue and get a membership.

Now there are very many machines and different exercises that can be done but I don't know exactly what is it I should do? Is there anything specific I should try to get myself into doing? I don't want to go wandering machine to machine not knowing what I'm doing or should be doing. Any advice?

A_integra1012 06-30-2015 02:25 AM

Well I think 24/hr fitness is a bit expensive . I would go to planet fitness which is also 24/hr for only $10/month. Also cutting weight / your diet is going to play a huge role in it also. Personally I would start with cardio first and then hit the weights you'll burn more fat that way in my opinion . No point in gaining all that muscle but still have that layer of fat in front of the muscle especially in the abdominal area. Also do not skip lower body workout as that will help shed alot of belly fat also. These are all my personal opinion as ever gym guy has there own way of doing things. I would also drink whey protien shakes before and after workout.

usdm420 06-30-2015 06:30 AM

Losing weight is damn near ALL diet. Exercise helps for sure, but your diet and your consistency to STICK to that diet is what will be the determining factors.

As for work outs, don't even worry about abdominals and such lol....you're over 300 pounds, you have a LONG way to go to even start thinking about abs coming in. Just find a simple weight training program online and follow it for a few months. Get into a habit of going and eating right.

Fix.it.again.Tony 06-30-2015 07:26 AM

diet diet diet

maybe do some walking or biking daily,

you don't need a gym yet to do this stuff so save your $$$

Fix.it.again.Tony 06-30-2015 07:26 AM

hit up robinson barba, he lives on yourside of town and dropped like 90lbs or more

intel 06-30-2015 01:48 PM

I hate to step on toes but lift before you do cardio. Which 24 hour fitness are you considering ? I suck at lifting but we and be gym Bros if you'd like lol.

I go to most 24 hour fitness locations in the valley as long as they have a basketball court.

beil93 06-30-2015 08:13 PM

Thanks for the advice. Ill still take a look at 24hr fitness so i can still use the pass and ill checkout planet fitness though. $10 is cheap lol probably just go that route. As far as abs go, LOL I know I'll have a long way to go. I'm just trying to get a bit skinnier, shed pounds and loose a few inches off the waist.

I have also thought about that more recently and I do want to get a bike I have plenty of time to bike before work and probably after. Also thought about biking to work.

I have no clue to be honest lol I do have to stop by the one is mesa park way I think it was? I have to look it up to remember exactly to go and to talk to my buddy for the 2 week pass but other that idk where id go. Although I'd like to find one near cental phoenix or tempe. The only gym that I'm aware of near me is LA fitness but anyways we could possibly be gym bros lol

intel 06-30-2015 09:21 PM

Yeah, text me if you'd like. I primarily go to metro center location on peoria/33rd avenue but.... for central phoenix/mesa some good ones are:

18th street and camelback [older gym]
dobson riverview - dobson and the 202 [new location...not the biggest fan of it since its always swarming]
val vista and the us60 [ old but with a basketball court]

feel free to pm me for a number when you get the trial. I'll drop by.

Littlejon1378 07-01-2015 03:18 AM

I am also over 300lbs and could probably use a workout partner, plus I already have a gym membership and can bring a free guest each time I go so depending on where you located he and your work schedule we may be able to work something out.

Also I am fairly experienced in physical fitness just have a back and shoulder issue and love to eat so I've kinda let myself go lately lol

intel 07-01-2015 06:56 AM

Which gym do you use? I think planet fitness and fitness 1 are the only ones I've heard of with that policy.

failedabortion 07-01-2015 08:09 AM

Pretty sure quiet a few gyms offer that, eos(golds) and youfit also do.

Use an online calculator to find your daily maintenance kcals and cut 500-1000 from it.

Starting strength or allpro are both great beginner routines and would suggest running either for at least six months before trying another one. When trying to figure out your starting weights, lighter is better.

Littlejon1378 07-01-2015 09:03 AM

I use golds which is now eos which is a really faggoty name for a gym in my opinion

beil93 07-02-2015 11:47 PM

18th st and camelback may be the closest one for me. Also considered planet fitness on McClintock and southern since its close to my work or if I do consider 24hr fitness I may choose LA fitness since theyre both the same price almost? Cause i have one kinda near me on 24st baseline.

intel 07-05-2015 02:08 PM

if you do the camel back one just hit me up! and upon starting your journey dont forget to stretch and warm up! It feels like total bullshit but it definitely helps

beil93 07-06-2015 07:58 PM

For sure will do thanks man!

zmathis 07-24-2015 10:31 AM

Cottage cheese and fruit and string cheese wrapped in the deli meat of your choice. That's literally all I would eat when I was cutting weight in a healthy manner for wrestling in college.

juan3023 07-24-2015 11:17 AM

doesnt take a rocket scientists to lose weight I personally go to 24 hour fitness got the membership from costco $369 for 2 years JUST eat right thats all I personally like hitting up everything battle ropes,stairmaster,pool are GREAT for cardio and do a bit of weight lifting

zmathis 07-24-2015 08:05 PM

It doesn't take a rocket scientist (singular) to provide quality advice in a legible and grammatically correct form either.

IS-Frank 08-03-2015 08:04 PM

Well i really don't reply in these threads,but I myself have lost a tremendous amount of weight I started at 285lbs and I am now down to 192, all I really did was eat right cut off all sodas and junk fast food, stick to a routine work out and swith it up every once in a while like every 2 weeks I swith it up from weight lifting to cardiovascular work outs,...just stick to it mentally and you should do just fine, I used to go to la fitness but it became so crowded it basically became a social club and the hours sucker so I joined planet fitness and was ok but the equipment is so horrible it not the best but it's ok for beginners,but now I'm going to eos (golds) and love it....

S!K TEG 08-05-2015 10:00 AM

I use to weigh avg 320lb then leaving out sugar drinks and junk with walking everyday for 6 months, I went down to avg 209lbs ( no muscle though )

I recently landed a office job and I'm eating at my desk due to all the OT. Well, I gained a few lbs, 95lb to be exact. This is what I have done, now keep in mind, everyone is different:

equip:
I bought a set of weights ( 105lbs) off amazon $80 shipped.
two used tires (used as a bench; free, I had some spare steelies )
piece of wood.

Mon-fri

Now through the day I'm drinking a lot of water with a tablespoon of fiber powder 3x a day ( I drink about a gallon a day of water. )
Food:

2am-
2% milk ( sometimes almond milk )
Oatmeal ( flavored)
egg
banana
peanut butter

I throw it all in a blend and drink it

I also have a cup of black coffee

6am:
peanuts, pumpkin seeds, berries etc

7:45 am:
Yogurt, peanuts, pumpkin seeds, berries etc

9:45 am:
a nice lunch like chicken sandwich; pork chop with some greens, rice and bread; spaghetti or some sort of pasta etc ( make sure to have carbs )

12:15 pm:
protein shake

3:30pm:
I lift weights ( I lift enough so I'm only able to do 5 sets of 5 reps. )
use the tires and wood as a weight bench.

I started off only being able to lift 20lbs and in 2 weeks, I'm already at 70lbs. I do a work out that works out your lower body and upper.

5:00 pm:
mostly something high in protein with water
ex:
chicken with rice and some sort of veggies

then I'm in bed by 6:30ish.

On the weekends:

I eat smart ( no junk food ) I cut back on my carbs and amount of food since I don't really work out those days.

when ever I wake up:
2 eggs
ham, bacon, steak etc ( what ever is in the fridge )
black coffee and some oj

Lunch:

pizza, spaghetti, hamburger ( homemade with lean meat ), girlled steak etc

dinner:
probably left overs from lunch, subway or whatever I find in the fridge.

I usually go for a small hike on south mountain with the family, go the park, play gun games with my kid outside or something to keep me active.

some may say, " you're not eating enough, you're eating a lot of carbs, you need to eat less, you need to do this type of work out" All I have to say is, everyone is different. look up some diet/ workout plans and modify as you need.

I have been doing this for 3 weeks and I already lost 20 lbs, I'm avg 270lbs-275lbs.