AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   All Motor (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   How do I test a obd2 B-series Vtec Dizzy? HELP** (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=168406)

Broskiballa 03-31-2012 12:52 PM

How do I test a obd2 B-series Vtec Dizzy? HELP**

Hello,

I have been going through weeks of a massive headache trying to correct a misfire issue i've been having.

Problem: misfire under load (Over 1/2 throttle, over 4k RPMS).

Already tested/corrected the following:
Reseal/replace every vacuum line/resealed MAP sensor oring.
Replaced fuel filter
Replaced spark wires/plugs/dizzy cap/dizzy rotor
Engine properly timed, TPS calibrated/ and spark plugs gapped to spec.
**Compression Tested 240 on the dot for each cylinder**

Engine: b18cR 97 Integra type R. 20-30k OG miles.

I have determined that this may be a coil issue. I believe I'm not getting enough spark, or it may be malfunctioning. I just got my hands on a volt/ohm reader. What do I test, and how? I have plenty of funds to correct this. Please help with some guidance.

Thanks,

- Broskiballa

intenseneal 04-07-2012 06:57 AM

Any codes/ CEL?? You should be getting misfire codes at the least like a PO300-PO304, if you are OBD2. It sounds like a coil issue but I dont to say that for sure because there are other things that could be causing a misfire in mid rpms.
Get a spark strength tester and see how far of a gap the spark can jump, this will help determine if you have a weak of bad coil.
A quick check is to swap your coil out for a known good one and see if that fixes it. Sorry kind of shooting in the dark here. Hard to diagnosis a car over the internet. Can you hold the modem up to the car??? LOL

C.R.A.Y. 04-07-2012 07:58 AM

intenseneal 04-07-2012 06:48 PM

You gave him info for a D16 and the OP has a B18C R. While the test should be the exact same the dizzy and coil layout is different in the B series. That is the best way to test the dizzy and coil. But since many on here dont have the equipment like a good DVOM nor the knowledge to do the diag. So I tend to give easy test methods. If the coil and dizzy check out ok then you may want to look at your wiring, check for bad grounds and damaged wiring or incorrect wiring ect.

C.R.A.Y. 04-07-2012 08:31 PM

You're a moron stop trying to look like you know what you're talking about. Coil is the same from d to b. yes the dizzy test is for an ek cause he could easily just check the resistance from the plug cause I know he has a jumper. all 92-01 d and b series distributors are internally the same.

intenseneal 04-08-2012 07:28 AM

Didnt I fucking say that the test was the same. And no TEC and Hitachi dizzys are different internally. Also OBD1 dizzy and OBD2 dizzy are different. Stop spreading wrong info.

C.R.A.Y. 04-08-2012 12:22 PM

Does the fsm specify different resistances to check for between tec and hitachi made distributors? No they don't, they are just a manufacture contracted to build a part to Honda's specification. They have the same pick ups for the ckp/cyp/tdc sensors and output the same signal to the ecu. So yes they function the same internally. There is no difference internally between obd1 and obd2 dizzys, just the plug is different. That's why you can purchase a jumper for your distributor or repin it to work with your cars harness.

Just keep posting shit you think you know and I'll keep pointing out how you're wrong. Pretty amusing for me.

intenseneal 04-09-2012 06:47 AM

OBD2 have the crank sensor behind the timing cover, not in the dizzy. OBD1 has a TDC sensor and cam sensor in the dizzy and they uses these to determine crank position. Keep posting incorrect info.

C.R.A.Y. 04-09-2012 07:06 AM

Oh Neal what will we ever do without you... Yup there is a crank sensor on usdm obd2 but the one in the distributor wasn't remove for this. Using your logic you wouldn't be able to use an obd2 distributor in an obd1 car. The only reason there is a ckf sensor down on the crank is for emissions regulations for the usmarket. On jdm motors you won't find this sensor, Honda didn't issue different distributors for this.

Just going to leave this here....
Hey look they are using the distributor for the ckf signal in an obd2 car. Omg

mr.DUNK 04-09-2012 07:15 AM

Lol

bigballsmagerki 04-09-2012 09:58 AM

you can use a obd 2 dizzy on obd1 car without even opening it up. just wiring conversh

C.R.A.Y. 04-09-2012 10:46 AM

Bs! Neal is ase certified and his word is law!

;)

intenseneal 04-10-2012 06:19 AM

When did I say that you can not use a OBD2 dizzy on a OBD1?? Never, I am running a OBD2 dizzy with OBD1 conversion. Cray you know your shit but leave little holes in your info at times. ASE cert has nothing to do with anything, its experience. Nothing replaces time in field. But think of it this way you would not want a Doctor to do surgery on you that does not have a medical degree right?? Then would people want a mechanic to work on their car that is not properly qualified?? ASE cert is proof of auto repair knowledge, just like a PhD for a doctor. You need to come down off your high horse, you dont know everything nor do I.

C.R.A.Y. 04-10-2012 07:13 AM

You didn't, I said if things were setup like you think they were you wouldn't be able to.

Thanks for playing.

Jason.AZ1 04-10-2012 08:04 AM

I wish I was ACE cert and got paid in gum :(

intenseneal 04-12-2012 06:45 AM

Epic fail.

The Punisher 04-12-2012 06:49 AM

I love reading these interactions.... Great morning!

C.R.A.Y. 04-12-2012 07:28 AM

I don't mind correcting Neal's short comings. ;)

BDD 04-12-2012 07:35 AM

sounds like someone is making up for his "shortness" himself, lol

C.R.A.Y. 04-12-2012 07:39 AM

Lame troll is lame

BDD 04-12-2012 08:00 AM

I honestly dont know what the word troll even means, but I have an idea, and if i'm correct then I could say the say about you. The differance between us is that I actually know what I am doing, you just act like it and have other people build your stuff. But go ahead and be a know it all, looks like it getting you far.

C.R.A.Y. 04-12-2012 08:11 AM

difference*

lol. Ill assume youre pointing out my sig. Im not a fabricator or an engine builder so why would i attempt either? I am a tuner and a general mechanic and i do both rather well. Might as well tony palo he doesn't know what he is doing cause he uses a full race manifold.

you have a cute sig... i remember running 12.8 in 06 in my heavier si hatch on a street tire with only an ls on 10psi. Must not know what youre doing.

BDD 04-12-2012 10:53 AM

general mechanic, lol is that like ase certified?

C.R.A.Y. 04-12-2012 11:15 AM

BDD 04-12-2012 12:12 PM

exactly

2point6 04-12-2012 04:46 PM

No, it's proof that you can pay money, pass an online test, and wear a badge. This doesn't mean that you REALLY know what you are doing. I have seen so many "ASE certified" mechanics that don't really have a clue, hands on.

C.R.A.Y. 04-12-2012 05:16 PM

Neal doesn't have a clue hands off either

The Punisher 04-12-2012 05:28 PM

Lets play a game. Next one to go onto the topic of cray, neal, or any other jackassery in here, gets a nice 1 month ban!

kthnxbai!

Fix.it.again.Tony 05-07-2012 06:34 PM

shoulda bought a distributor instead of a "dizzy"