AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   Car & Home Audio (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Wat box hits harder? (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=114919)

SoB NiG 12-12-2009 03:04 AM

Wat box hits harder?

Sealed or ported?? Easy question judt lookin for an easy answer... Thanks!!!

BigCountry 12-12-2009 04:34 AM

Depends on the size of the sub(s) and what vehicle it's going in. With my experience I had 2 tens in a ported box in my last EK hatch and it hit hard.... Way back in the day I had 2 15's in my truck. That box was sealed and hit hard. Same truck had 2 12's in a sealed and then ported box and both were pretty equal.

Just depends really....

familywagon 12-12-2009 05:27 AM

A ported box definately "hits harder" with every sub I've ever had. Ported gives a deeper base sound but not as crisp as sealed. The down fall is that ported inclosures requires more air space. For example: (Can't remember exactly) An alpine type r sub requires 1.0 cu ft air space for sealed / but 1.6 - 2.0 for ported. Its also important to properly design the port.

Jstylez 12-12-2009 10:03 AM

ported... but you you to have it "tuned" correctly to the sub's air dimensions .... different subs have different peak air dimensions, so the size of the box and the length of the port tube all play a role in the out come of the sub's sound.

Sound=vibration 12-12-2009 10:42 AM

This is a hard topic to answer.
In theory a ported box is more efficent and should interms be louder although it depends on the sub and car it is going into.

but properly designed a ported and a seald box can have the same amount of output and sound just as good as the other..

I build custom enclosure all the time pm me with your sub/s car and what music you listen to and i can point you in the right direction. I can even do you a box design if wanted

Remeber there are a ton of other boxes as well horns tlines bandpass ect it just dependds on space the driver the car and preference

Pendulum 12-15-2009 10:42 AM

This is not an easy question.
You will not get an easy answer.

/thread.

Fenix 12-15-2009 05:08 PM

get to work^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

BlownspeakerBoX 12-16-2009 05:11 PM

short answer. ported...have 8inch solobaric's right now for $100..dont let the small size fool you, these are heavy hitters.

Sound=vibration 12-16-2009 06:04 PM

Not always ported but the 8in solobarics in the right box are amazing haha... great little sub if you ask me

jdm egizzle 6 12-16-2009 08:32 PM

I had a lot of different systems I perfer closed for small cars and ported for suvs because of the big space.

SoB NiG 12-17-2009 01:57 PM

I kno it was kinda a wiiide question... I was askn cause i got a box for free that would give me sooo much more space in my hatch... But the down side is that it didnt hit as hard as my big ass proted box that leaves me nooo room... Kinda sucks cause i have no room but hits with the right amp...

auex 12-17-2009 06:50 PM

All things being EQUAL ported box will ALWAYS be louder. It is down to physics but ported is generally louder while sealed generally is better sq.

BlownspeakerBoX 12-17-2009 11:20 PM

ported box will almost alway give you +3db over sealed

Sound=vibration 12-18-2009 05:35 PM

In theory almost always but not always..

Sound=vibration 12-18-2009 05:36 PM

get a custom box its the best way to go

LadyLockness 12-23-2009 09:48 PM

a ported box will give you a longer hold on the bass notes, more resonance. A sealed Box will hit much harder but the notes wont hold out as long........I prefer sealed, i like the hard bass

EFinyouup 12-28-2009 01:02 AM

Its up too you sealed has sq ( sound qauilty ) ported is noise more boom boom personially I like sealesd it sounds a lot better but like I said its all up too you

Sound=vibration 12-28-2009 03:07 AM

God most of you guys are so far off its not funny this thread needs to be closed already...

SoB NiG 12-28-2009 04:36 AM

Lol x2 cause i decided to keep my big ass ported box alooooong time ago!

dobslob 02-07-2010 11:04 AM

If I am building a system for max output it will be ported. If I am building it for sound quality it will be ported. I only do sealed if I am just terribly limited on space or if the customer really wants sealed. A ported system will require that you use some type of high pass crossover or subsonic filter at the tuning frequency to avoid damage to the woofer(s).

A properly designed and built ported box will always give you more output and with any decent subwoofer will give you great sound as well. The biggest benefit of ported boxes for me is the extra output for a given amount of power. On really big systems, like the one I am building now, going ported will save thousands of dollars to achieve the same output. In this case, to have the same output and use the same space inside the vehicle the customer could either do 4 12W7s sealed, or 2 ported. The 4 sealed will require twice the power, so he would need another amplifier. That amplifier will draw a lot more current, so he will need to add another extra alternator. There will be considerable time involved in setting up the extra alternator he will need, we are already adding one for the rest of the system. So, in this case, for slightly more output from a ported box with 2 subs and a slightly smaller box, the customer will save at least $7000.

i30stmi 02-12-2010 05:16 PM

Here's the end of this thread, and the correct answer! Ported can give you a higher SPL rating but it will only do that on certain bands depending on the subwoofer you are using. For example, 20-60Hz might be louder with a properly tuned, vented enclosure... but higher than 60Hz actually sounds worse vented than sealed with the same sub in the correct sized (vented or sealed) enclosure. So depending on your needs, space, crossover settings and what you're running for interiors; vented may be better for some people, sealed may be better for others. I personally prefer sealed.

Hopefully that makes sense. It's alot of math and theory but holds true when you test it with a dB meter.

Off topic but I have an MDF enclosure that fits in a spare tire well for a 92-95 civic coupe for free! all you have to do is come get it in chandler! fits 2 12"s up to 6 inches deep. Also, if you ever need a fiberglass box made or audio work done; I cut deals for fellow honda/acura enthusiasts! See my certifications, I install/repair car audio for a living.

auex 02-12-2010 10:36 PM

Nice to see some other experienced 12volt guys on the board. Mind posting some background info? Welcome to the board! Also have you ever posted on the12volt.com forum? I should really get around to taking the masters test as my certification has expired a couple years ago. Can you proctor the exam?

Nachooooosupreme 02-12-2010 10:42 PM

good shit to know...welcome to azht!! :tits:

i30stmi 02-13-2010 01:21 AM

Dob Slob is the best 12 volt guy on this forum... assuming it's Doug Dobson. He and I are both from Michigan! I've been in the valley for three years now (in april).

I'm not against vented boxes. In fact; they are great! Everything in Dob's post is 100% correct. They are awesome if they are made right. I just hate the 90% of them that are made wrong. Or the pre-made, "cookie cutter" boxes you buy at shops that aren't made for any specific sub. The example I used was random numbers; I could give specific examples with specific subwoofer specs but it'd be a waste of time. The point is that there are several types of boxes and there are just as many people who would argue each one is better. If it's made to the specs of the subwoofer, then it's a good box; reguardless of whether it is sealed or ported.

I'm not here to toot my own horn. I just love Honda! And if I can help someone with their 12v stuff... then great! Come help me install a turbo! Haha! Thanks for the welcome guys, glad to be here!

auex 02-13-2010 03:14 AM

OH toot away, Master Certification is a great achievement. There aren't many others with that certification. I just wish I had gotten around to taking it when i was fully active inteh field. It was one of my professional goals. Now health issues will probably prevent me from continuing in the mobile electronics field.

dobslob 02-13-2010 04:02 PM

Yes Josh. It is me.

And your post is correct as well in respect to the band of frequencies. Keep in mind though, that in most applications it will only need to play up to 80Hz or so, so that band can be pretty slim and still work great.

Now buy my engine!!!

tokico 02-13-2010 04:58 PM

ported ftw

i30stmi 02-13-2010 05:42 PM

Dob, I am moving in May (will still be in Chandler)... I might buy it then if you still have it. I'm getting into a rent free situation that would be great for helping that transaction! I've bought my engagement setting for Kristan; still need to throw a diamond in it. I just rebuilt my D16 from the ground up so I'd be sad to see her go but I'm sure I could sell it here and throw your B18 in.

i30stmi 02-13-2010 05:44 PM

Oh yeah, my number is (269) 274-9497. if you want to talk about the engine let me know. Also call me if you need a hand or ANYTHING. I'm a 12 volt bitch compared to who you hang out with; I'd love to throw my hands on some of your projects for the experience. Missed you at happy hour thursday! Heard you sprang a leak.

93civiceg 02-15-2010 11:41 PM

what??? :wave1: