AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   EF CRX/Civic + DA Integra (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   troubleshooting B16a CRX (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=97528)

xXRollinXx 05-20-2009 03:54 PM

troubleshooting B16a CRX

car: 1990 crx hf
motor: b16a 0bd0 no a/c,no PS

symptoms:

AT START up:
takes about 2 trys to turn it over
rough idle (approx. 200rpms) sometimes dies
rich gas smell
misfiring

begining to drive:
sputters in first acceleration
after driving a few yards runs closer to normal, sputtering stops

while driving: (SOMETIMES while going constant speed, fifth gear at ~ 4,000 rpms)
begins to cut out, pumping gas pedal DOES NOT affect problem
ONLY STOPS CUTTING OUT WHEN I RETURN TO SURFACE STREET SPEEDS AND RPMS

THINGS IVE replaced in the last 2 months:
gas tank w/ new fuel pump
distributor: rotor, cap, igniter, ignition coil
plugs & wire
fuel filter

tests ive done:

fuel system pressure (good)
injector resistance (good)
starter, alternator, battery (good)

THERE IS NO ENGINE LIGHT ON DURING ANY OF THIS

im out of ideas...

any suggestions?

the hardest part is that sometimes it runs perfect and some days it runs as listed above.

thanks, Caitlin

UPDATE:

it is NOT the main relay
Just checked timing 05-20-09 its on mark
checked spark plugs, good
checled wires, good

Mr.Teal 05-20-2009 04:16 PM

vacuum leak

die in a dick fire noob 05-20-2009 04:17 PM

i'd go with something more serious like valve problem/timing.

xXRollinXx 05-20-2009 04:18 PM

oh i forgot to mention,i just had the timing check and adjusted, it WAS about 12 degress advanced before i had it corrected

die in a dick fire noob 05-20-2009 04:21 PM

12 degress advanced is sure far enough to bend some valves if you're not careful, what threw the timing out, or do you know?

xXRollinXx 05-20-2009 04:38 PM

it was advanced from when i bought the car, it was only when i checked it around emissions time that i realised it.

i think that maybe the douche i bought from advanced it to hide these problems...

xXRollinXx 05-20-2009 04:42 PM

my next step is probably idle air control valve

nelsmar 05-20-2009 04:46 PM

maybe try a new set of plugs, how are the condition of the wires? how about the fuel pump? I am assuming the car ran fine before? also did anything change right before problems?(was it when you adjusted the timing?)

btw :thumbsup: big time for actually writing USEFUL INFO

xXRollinXx 05-20-2009 04:50 PM

car ran fine before timing was adjusted

car also ran/runs fine before and after fuel pump was installed ( i replaced it since i was doing the tank anyways)

ngk plugs, ngk wires, brand new fuel pump all in the last month - 2 months :)

just checked plugs, theyre fine

the thing is the sparatic-ness of these problems is throwing me off

The President 05-20-2009 04:53 PM

with it being so sparatic, I'd almost pin it on being something electrical. how does the harness on this thing look? Was it a garage swap? or professionally done?

die in a dick fire noob 05-20-2009 05:11 PM

garage vs professional is almost intelligible anymore... since most "professionals" are shitty at this stuff too...

if it is electrical i'd be checking grounds.

The President 05-20-2009 05:31 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of cut/splice. I went through some of these same issues when i had my GSR EJ1.

btw... intelligible - nice word! :rflmao:

nelsmar 05-20-2009 05:34 PM

Do any CEL's ever come on? (just wondering if the harness was setup right). Also what ECU? I have a spare b16 ecu in the garage if it comes down to testing that. get some carb cleaner, clean up the ground positions or just sand them(what i do). Something could be getting loose, is it rough everything you start, and EVERY time your at idle? and your 100% sure you did the timing right?(not questioning your technical skill just want to check)

TTM_SALES 05-20-2009 05:37 PM

Main relay for the car cutting out while driving, had the same problem in my EF hatch.

nelsmar 05-20-2009 05:40 PM

Hey try this, move the MAP sensor to a different vacuum position, I had this happen once on my old ZC now that i think about it. I had it hooked into some weird spot and it was messing with the readings. Some box to do with emissions or something.

xXRollinXx 05-20-2009 06:07 PM

yes i have had CELS before, the whole cars wiring is fucked basically, but most of the problems with that is stupid shit like turn signals and chassis electrical, not the engine harness, but the previous problems ive had where as the wiring was the problem the symptoms were constant....

the ecu is correct

i didnt PERSONALLY change the timing, but i was the one who discovered it was advanced with a light, had it confirmed then used the light again to check that it was lined up after adjustment..

its kinda hit and miss, it does it mostly when its cold, but has done it when its warm...

xXRollinXx 05-20-2009 06:28 PM

just tried a new one..

no difference

other suggestions?

xXRollinXx 05-20-2009 06:29 PM

hmmnnn.... maybe

Blue92teg 05-20-2009 06:32 PM

ive been dealing with similiar problems for months now. its been driving me crazy. i've searched so many threads looking for answers with no luck.

xXRollinXx 05-20-2009 06:44 PM

well poo

92PreludeAWS 05-20-2009 09:36 PM

Did you do a cylinder compression check on all cylinders? Also have you checked to see if you're spark is consistent (that it doesn't drop out)?

nelsmar 05-20-2009 10:31 PM

You said you have had CEL, what was it? (or what were they). Occasional CEL might give more info. does it ALWAYS idle rough? Honestly it sounds like a map issue, or a tps.

xXRollinXx 05-21-2009 12:42 AM

it was a 22 which is something about coolant temp but it was abot a year ago.... doesnt relate to this problem

im gonna try the map sensor, as for now i just had to buy a clutch, my shit is slippin :(:dumbass::pissed:

die in a dick fire noob 05-21-2009 06:12 AM

your tw sensor in most cases will cause a car to run weird so 22 could pertain to this problem but i think you should do a compression and leak down before trying all this small shit only to find that it's something with the engine.

nelsmar 05-21-2009 08:03 AM

I had a spare clutch sitting in the garage for a cable b16... lol

xXRollinXx 05-21-2009 10:12 AM

ill try it today @work.... i just dont think that the 22 has anything to do with itive done so much to the car since then...radiator, thermostat.+ all the shit above ect.. that year and a half or so ago that it came on my car was running hot on a hot day and hasnt come back since i let it cool down..

i have a brand new clutch just no time to do it,and no money for a shop....

nelsmar 05-21-2009 10:15 AM

If this heat didn't kick my ass(im new in town) And someone didn't steal all my tools ide do it for half the shop! :p

ii_roll_1_de3p 05-26-2009 05:44 AM

Dude I'm having the same damn problems with my first gen b16 89 si. it runs totally fine but when I drive down the street for some reason ill ONLY blow out the fuse for my signal lights, then it'll run like complete shit when It goes out. if I run over 4k in any gear it'll start to sputter out n eventually die if I don't switch up a gear. I'm figuring it has to do with my engine wiring cuz its wired like crap. I also noticed that I'm not throwing a CEL but when I removed my carpet it was blinking a #4 cel without me knowing. which has to do with a vaccum leak etc. My question is, what obd is ur b16??

ii_roll_1_de3p 05-26-2009 05:47 AM

I just had my head rebuilt and cylinders replaced, only have 2500k miles on it since its been worked on. changed out my fuel pump, main relay, spark plug wires etc. still runs like shit. similar to ur problem

ii_roll_1_de3p 05-26-2009 05:49 AM

wait just seen u also have an obd-0 so scratch out my question.. check ur vacum lines bro. make sure there not all f'd up. maybe u have one loose. had that happen to me once lol.