AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   ECU/Programming/Electronics (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   overheating still??? (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=90082)

2fnfast 02-25-2009 01:45 PM

overheating still???

ok my car still overheats,but the radiator fan is always on,

i replaced the thermastat, the sensor that goes to the block( which was why my radiator wasnt turning on

i replace the radiator fan,idk im fucking lost ,i also bleed the coolant,wtf

2fnfast 02-25-2009 01:54 PM

o and out of the little hole in the overfill it spits out coolant ontop of my radiator

90civ_zc_racer 02-25-2009 02:14 PM

could be your head gasket

2fnfast 02-25-2009 02:26 PM

how do i tell if its the waterpump or the gasket?

BlownspeakerBoX 02-25-2009 05:49 PM

check your oil dipstick for any coolant...
remove radiator cap, check to see if coolant is milky (oil mixed).....either one is bad headgasket...

smoke out your exaust??

2fnfast 02-25-2009 07:27 PM

there no coolant in the oil,i just did a head gasket

and i got bad o-rings so my car always smoked

Revhard2003 02-25-2009 08:24 PM

Question did actually change the thermostat or just the sensor? If you only changed the sensor then the actual thermostat could be stuck closed....this would cause your car to continue to overheat. This may also be the reason why your fan will not shut off....unless you have this on a swtich which you leave on all the time...

Also, remember gravity is your friend when it comes to leaks...is there any coolant fliud under your car? If so you should be able to find the source pretty easy. From the sounds of it though this is not the case....

Another recommendation...get your hands on a stant radiator cooling system tester...if you can and see how your radiator n cap hold up. If your radiator boils after driving then that's usually your radiator cap...a lot of people do not understand the importance of the radiator cap is to their cooling system...the higher the pressure rating is.....the higher the boiling point of the coolant.

If all else fails...which means if everything you diagnos (do not just throw parts at your car) does not alert you to the problem...then your cooling system problem is your water pump...unfortunately you can not tell if your pump has internal cavitation unless you take off the water pump....by that time you might as well just replace the damn thing with a new one! OEM ftw!

All in all....I think your thermostat is stuck closed. Hope this help you out some.

2fnfast 02-25-2009 09:12 PM

ill check to see if the thermostat is stuck,i be pissed if it is,cause i already replaced it

Revhard2003 02-25-2009 10:05 PM

Well if you already replaced the thermostate with a new one then this may no be the case...I was not sure if you actually replaced it...but if you did then it should be opertaing properly....but your fans staying on is a good indicator its stuck closed.

As I got tho thinking more about this...you could possibly be having some ECT Sensor issues...this is pretty easy to check if you have a DVOM (Digital Volt Ohm Meter) since all you have to do is pull the 2P ECT Sensor connector, hook up the DVOM to the sensor, turn the ignition on and check for resistance (looking for about 200-400 ohm) on the DVOM..if you are not getting this reading then this is bad. If it does not check within 200-400 ohm then you may have an open short...from your sensor connector to your ECM(aka ECU).

I'm only telling you to check this because its easy and its another reason why you could be overheating. I know you said you change some of the parts..but you never said anything about diagnosing your car. When I run into a problem I run through a list of things in my head and then try to elimnate by testing...not replacing parts...I would have a damn near new car if I did that everytime...always try to start with the easiest things to check first..then work you way to the other possible fixes.

As for the water pump if you want to check that ..take off your timing cover...remove your timing belt...check for leaks around the mating/gasket area....make sure it turns counter-clockwise...you may hear a sound come out of the bleed holes but thats normal...but if I remember correctly fluid should not come out of them.

Have no worries 2fnfast you will figure this out one way or another...just test/verify before you replace anything.

2fnfast 02-26-2009 09:23 AM

the thermostat wasn't much,the sensor wasn't much,and i got a whole new fan 4 free from a friend,i have my eye on the stupid waterpump

also it spits coolant from the little hole in the overflow tank,but everyone says there shouldn't be a hole,but every eg i seen does,

2fnfast 02-26-2009 09:26 AM

i belive i already replace the ECT Sensor

2fnfast 02-27-2009 12:33 AM

its only if i drive fast my car overheats,idk what that is

BDD 02-27-2009 11:40 AM

let the car idle with the rad. cap off untill the lower hose gets hot(thermostat opens) if there is any air it will escape for sure. It could be a water pump, If the motor has 80+,000 miles then I would replace the pump anyway...

redwidow 02-27-2009 11:55 AM

Ok so you must of over headted the engine enough to blow a HG, you could of warped the head a bit. DId you check for head/block for a flat smooth surface? Bad O-rings? are you turbo'd?

2fnfast 02-28-2009 09:19 AM

it already overheated,and i already replaced the HG, i put a new head on that was good 4 sure,and my o-rings have always be bad,i just wanan know why it still overheats

2fnfast 02-28-2009 09:20 AM

im at 180+ haha so ill replace it when i get my taxes if i ever do

redwidow 02-28-2009 11:52 AM

lol what o rings are you talking about?

2fnfast 03-01-2009 01:59 PM

piston

jake2001z001 03-01-2009 08:31 PM

I would say water pump. After so many miles they can get corroded and than fan blades and chip. Before you did all this was the coolant rusty?

Revhard2003 03-02-2009 12:47 PM

Well my friend you pretty much elimanated everything else...water pump it is.

2fnfast 03-03-2009 06:04 PM

maybe it just the gasket,

2fnfast 03-04-2009 01:09 PM

update!!!! ok the past few weeks i had a radiator leak,like everytime i drove,i had to put alittle coolant or water to top the radiator ,now yesterday im pissed

fucking,there is like no coolant,maybe a busted core in radiator and i fucking sorted my fan again wtf???? im so pissed i need a new motor but no job and i been looking hardcore,,,also there was alot of water/coolant all over my engine yesterday when it happen

and i have no idea where the coolant / water goes so fast now,??? not on the ground i looked,

2fnfast 03-04-2009 04:07 PM

yeah i need a job to get a motor,i applyed today at a job i wish myself luck,i want my running like a champ again

Revhard2003 03-09-2009 08:37 AM

Sorry I took so long to reply...I'm not on here a whole lot...I just drop in every now and then. Anyhow...you need to isolate the leak problem. Fill up your radiator again....pull your timing cover off....start your car...maybe have a friend get in side and put a load on the car .....while you look for the leak. Once you find the leak you be much better off...with the trouble shooting. Hopefully you will be able to see the leak before you car starts to overheat....if the temp gauge shoots through the roof....shut your car off. You can operate the car for a little bit with it in the red...but not for very long. If you continue to operate the car with it in the red...then you might warp the head.

I know you said you had a radiator leak...did you actually see it leaking from there? Another thing to check is the coolant bleeder port on the block....looks like a brake bleeder port...make sure its shut/tight. I once forgot to tighten that when I was bleeding the air out of the system....this caused my car to overheat...and shoot coolant everywhere...when I was driving around (back in my hay day).

Keep us updated...I will check in more often to see how you are doing. By the way....I have to ask is your car automatic or manual?

2fnfast 03-09-2009 09:30 AM

manual and the car doesn't shoot up to H

BDD 03-09-2009 10:30 AM

I'd say your wasting you time with a motor with that many miles... and if you dont replace that water pump you probally never run cool. You ever seen a water pump that has no blades? I have.... and if its not the pump... it's the block or head is warped for the last overheat and the head isnt sealed. it could be leaking just enough to get in the cyclinders

2fnfast 03-10-2009 06:53 PM

i got a friend giving me a z6 4 $100 so im getting at that haha ... but today i was driving hard and it didn't overheat

Revhard2003 03-10-2009 08:03 PM

no :smoke: (overheating) and no :ballin: (leaks) get a :thumbup:

What happened to the coolant leak? Anyhow, glad to hear some good news about your car.

Take it easy and let us know if its acts up again.