AZHT.net  

Go Back   AZHT.net > General Forums > AZHT Lounge

AZHT Lounge General Discussion | Kick back and relax

Old 07-06-2009, 09:34 PM   #1
TysCb7

R12 refrigerant

Does anybody know of a good shop that will refill R12 for a decent price in the peoria/glendale area? I don't want to convert to R-134a!
TysCb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:43 PM   #2
turbo18vtec

Why don't you want to convert to r134a its easier in the long run
turbo18vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:18 PM   #3
pancake_ef2

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo18vtec View Post
Why don't you want to convert to r134a its easier in the long run
id keep the r-12 because it blows colder...
pancake_ef2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:45 PM   #4
crx3

It's unlikely that you will find R12 since it's been banned since 1995, but I hear it's available in Mexico. I once knew a guy that started buying R12 every time he went to the auto parts store because he knew the ban was coming. Last time I saw him he had the back of his garage stacked to the ceiling with 30lb cans of R12.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:47 PM   #5
jdmpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by crx3 View Post
It's unlikely that you will find R12 since it's been banned since 1995, but I hear it's available in Mexico. I once knew a guy that started buying R12 every time he went to the auto parts store because he knew the ban was coming. Last time I saw him he had the back of his garage stacked to the ceiling with 30lb cans of R12.

it is not banned... just illegal to sell to anyone without the proper license for it... i used to sell it all the time at the auto parts store i worked at 4 months ago

Fight my BRUTE, It will entertain you for a bit!! http://hellajdm1.mybrute.com
jdmpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:03 PM   #6
95_B18b1_Teg
rhd project

it would cost too much to convert it protperly
i say keep the r12 and just recharge it
with the conversion, to do it right, you would have to open switch the oil, flush your lines and condensor, get a new expantion valve and new dryer, at a shop your looking at 300- 1200 bux depending on if you know them and they hook you up or not
you could do it yourself for about 200 with without the charge or just spend 40-60 bux recharging the r12
95_B18b1_Teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #7
crx3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmpunk View Post
it is not banned... just illegal to sell to anyone without the proper license for it... i used to sell it all the time at the auto parts store i worked at 4 months ago
From Wikipedia:

"Dichlorodifluoromethane (R-12), usually sold under the brand name Freon-12, is a chlorofluorocarbon halomethane (CFC), used as a refrigerant and aerosol spray propellant. Complying with the Montreal Protocol, its manufacture was banned in the United States along with many other countries in 1994 due to concerns about damage to the ozone layer.[1] It is soluble in many organic solvents."

You may have been selling something which functions as an R12 substitute, it is not actually R12. Hell the greenies even got Asthma inhalers banned: "The use of chlorofluorocarbons as an aerosol in medicine, for example: USP-approved Albuterol, has been phased out by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. The use of a different propellant known as hydrofluoroalkane, or HFA, which does not harm the environment has been chosen as the replacement."

The "Depleted Ozone Layer", "Global Warming", "Man Made Climate Change" fear phenomenon is the biggest hoax and tax ever perpetrated on the human race.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:56 PM   #8
intenseDA9

i say convert it and recharge it. i did it for my DA and it blew hella cold. cost me $135. the only place i could find R12 was online.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:15 PM   #9
turbo18vtec

I converted my old da and it blew cold all I did was flush the system put the proper pag oil in put the valve adapters on and vacum the system then charged it and it worked great
turbo18vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:18 PM   #10
JdmMexican

its called freeze 12 its a replacement for r 12 only a few shops have it but i just got it done in my 84 caprice
JdmMexican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:30 AM   #11
Frank White
Fuck your life!

in mexico they recharged mine for like 45 bucks that was the labor and buying the r 12 shit... its easier for me cause im close to the border. good luck finding a place there dude.
Frank White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:00 AM   #12
lucid

hmm....i posed the other day....that''s weird

anyways...i do HVAC

r12 is AMAZING....has one of the best temp glides out there

but it is bad for the enviroment....and super pricey

if you can afford it get it

r134 is a great subsitute and better for the enviroment....but no where as good as cooling compared to r12

just make sure ur system has NO LEAKS ..or it's gonna be expensive

to retro fit to 134a is pretty cheap awell.....hope this helps

]
lucid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:04 AM   #13
lucid

ps....alot of people that have r12 hoard it and know what it's worth...some jugs have been priced around 1k already

get rdy guys with ur house AC....just like they phased our r12 and it became super expensive

they are you the same thing with r22...the new stuff is 410a PURON

they will not be allowed to manufacture r22 by the end of the year...NO JOKE...prices will sky rocket!!!!!

about 80% of homes and business are using r22 refrigerant.....good luck the next couple years are just gonna get more expensive.....if you have the money now...it's the best time to upgrade to the new 410 system's....SRP is giving rebates on 14seer system

i bet at the end of the year all the 410 system will go up aswell because they know they have the consumer by the balls

]
Old 07-09-2009, 12:21 AM   #14
95_B18b1_Teg
rhd project

r12 kicks ass i love it
blows colder than my dc ever did
gotta roll down the window to keep myself from shivering
95_B18b1_Teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:58 AM   #15
*inFamous*
You are MINE!

R12 is still available to anyone who has the proper liscencing. Or on C/l lol!

Freeze 12 is another available subsitute.

Conversion is not as expensive as people make it out to be. Line flush is inexpensive, 12 bucks, expansion valves/orfice tubes are usually 2-12 bucks, a reciever dryer is around 40-50 for our cars, PAG oil is like 5 bucks for 8 ounces. 3lbs of R134 is like 18 bucks.
*inFamous* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:04 AM   #16
PhoenixB16
cock good as gold

So,someone answer the question........ Is there ANY FUCKING PLACE that can get ahold of and recharge my odd ass R112????????? Or do I need to drive to fucking Mexico or something?
Old 07-09-2009, 10:34 AM   #17
jdmpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by crx3 View Post
From Wikipedia:

"Dichlorodifluoromethane (R-12), usually sold under the brand name Freon-12, is a chlorofluorocarbon halomethane (CFC), used as a refrigerant and aerosol spray propellant. Complying with the Montreal Protocol, its manufacture was banned in the United States along with many other countries in 1994 due to concerns about damage to the ozone layer.[1] It is soluble in many organic solvents."

You may have been selling something which functions as an R12 substitute, it is not actually R12. Hell the greenies even got Asthma inhalers banned: "The use of chlorofluorocarbons as an aerosol in medicine, for example: USP-approved Albuterol, has been phased out by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. The use of a different propellant known as hydrofluoroalkane, or HFA, which does not harm the environment has been chosen as the replacement."

The "Depleted Ozone Layer", "Global Warming", "Man Made Climate Change" fear phenomenon is the biggest hoax and tax ever perpetrated on the human race.
im sorry then its wrong or misleading, because it says "its manufacture was banned in the United States" manufacture not banned as a whole!

... this shit did not have the screw on cap like 134 and said right on the can that it was r12, when i first started working there i got a huge lecture about how we can only sell it to people that have the proper license for it and absolutely cannot sell it to people without it... we had a sign that had the act on the wall stating that it was banned to sell to anyone without the proper license... go to a shop if it was banned then how would they be able to still put it in cars?

this is a pic of the small cans that the store sells, not a substitute

heres a store that sells it and they mention the license i was talking about
http://store.lenzdist.com/product.php?xProd=715&xSec=1

"Purchase of this product requires EPA 609 License Certification. You will be asked to provide your license number at checkout. Also if you are a private individual you will need to fax a copy to 217-245-1045."

another site located in texas that sells it, which only deals with refrigerant systems for vehicles...click to buy the r12 it will give you a price and everything
http://www.r22.org/basket.php

AND says this in your shopping cart
"WARNING
EPA LAW REQUIRES CERTAIN INDIVIDUALS TO BE LICENSED BEFORE PURCHASING REFRIGERANTS
"

Fight my BRUTE, It will entertain you for a bit!! http://hellajdm1.mybrute.com
jdmpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:37 PM   #18
*inFamous*
You are MINE!

Honestly man, just call a few local shops, they usually know who can handle/charge it for you as most of them cannot themselves.
*inFamous* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:48 AM   #19
lucid

econo lube in tune....geez i think off northern or something.....they did a fill for a customers cars way back when

sry i don't know of "any hook-ups" for ya

]
Old 07-14-2009, 12:24 PM   #20
AZDC2
Thoughts Become Things

The Firestone shop can refill your car with R-12 . I just went last week and they have a certified mechanic on hand that can refill it. They charge about 75 bucks for 1lb of the R-12 freon.
MDM crew#008

Purple Haze
-
" BLIKSEM "
AZDC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:55 PM   #21
millese

I know it sounds crazy, but I did a r12 to r134 on my 93 eg and the vent temps sucked, but I went to alma imports and bought a condenser with lines from a 94+ integra ($45) had the ends of the lines modified to fit my compressor and dryer ($65) A-air components in Mesa and now my cars vents temps are 36-42 degrees on 100+ degree days and it cycles off the thermal switch to keep from freezing the evaperator. If your decent with a/c this is one way you can go that will give you the results your looking for. R134 is less efficient that r12, but engineering the system to work with r134 can give you same very cold end result at the vents.
millese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:06 PM   #22
MEAN STREET EF

last i heard was you didnt need a license to buy it, and its not banned. its just illegal to produce in the usa
MEAN STREET EF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:35 PM   #23
jdmrex1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEAN STREET EF View Post
last i heard was you didnt need a license to buy it, and its not banned. its just illegal to produce in the usa
Well there you go!!
Its not illegal but you cant produce it!!lol
Anyways some Autozone stores still have R-12 cans stocked in the back! Last store i worked at had 12 cans just chilling there..
Good luck trying to buy them cuz they probably wont sell them to you but if a cool guy like me comes arroud i will!!
jdmrex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:52 PM   #24
dohcgarage
D-O-H-C-G-A-R-A-G-E

craigslist....I see it all the time on there
Old 10-25-2009, 06:12 PM   #25
theAngryMarmot
Formerly PaulGT2164

it is not banned.
You have to have a license to service and buy R12 systems. I used to sell it all the time commercially, and I was/am licensed to service and convert R12 systems (used to do it all the time at the last resto shop) . During the winter it is cheaper, summer it is stupid priced.

Get some freeze 12 and call it a day.

ďA manís character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation.Ē -Mark Twain
theAngryMarmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:33 PM   #26
RLONFLUID

just put some propane in your ac system...theve been doin it for years in mexico.Just make sure you dont have any leaks and you should be good.
RLONFLUID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:20 PM   #27
omgRUSerious

cross the border for less than 1/2 the price of the US.
omgRUSerious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:05 PM   #28
jcamacho
borracho camacho

I have R-12, it's expensive though. $70/lb
jcamacho is offline   Reply With Quote