What year was that written?
Spec C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:06 PM   #32
bmxican
GO CARDINALS!

early 2000s
Old 11-16-2011, 01:38 PM   #33
Spec C

Yea, you can tell as some thoughts are a bit dated. But none the less, some info to be had there.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #34
tfizzle

Man I came late to this party. Balanced diet is the way to go. CARBS,PROTEIN & FAT. greens are unlimited of course. Someone mentioned processed foods to I would def try to get rid of all that stuff as much as possible. A good thing to remember is carbs that aren't used with be processed in the body to fat, same goes for sugar. So your body uses insulin for energy and what isn't used is stored as fat. It takes energy for your body to make those transitions too. So that sluggish feeling when u eat a lot, for example pizza ... It's taking all those carbs and breaking them down. Geez I wish I could draw a diagram to explain this. But look at it as a zig zag line going up and down to manage your food intake and processing... The more straight u can keep that line the better. That's why eating the 5-6 times a day is important as long as u do it with the right foods. And not all have to be meals just good snacks.

One thing u can do is boil a dozen eggs at the beginning of the week and eat like 2 a day with 3 links of sausage and one piece of toast (whole wheat not enriched) and a piece of fruit that should get u up for the day. For snacks try to find Greek yogurt its full of potassium and u can mix granola in it to fill u up and have like a serving of nuts almonds. (Approx 16) lunch maybe have a sandwich I would try and use boars head meat(protein), throw a avocado in there (fat) unlimited greens again its a lil expensive but worth the it cause its top quality. U can use the CARBS in the bread for energy to finish out your day... Snack have oatmeal and a piece of cheese (fat) so that's carbs and fat... Then dinner it depends on what your goals are.. fish's and chicken are always good. Me personally try to limit the red meat lately. Then before bed I would take a protein shake with peanut butter using almond milk .... Maybe this helps u get a idea ...I hope it does.

Bmxican posted that info although I don't agree with 500grams or even 300 grams of protein a day. It should be more to 1g/lb unless you want to lean out in that case I would take in your grams per/lb of YOUR Target weight.

But mostly listen to your body you know it better than anyone. Food journal would help and then with your diet times might vary on when u eat and how u eat. Take in CARBS before workout then burn em out. A lot of good info thru here and some knowledgeable people.

But good luck with what your looking for... Self discipline and self motivation is the real battle but once u find your routine you will like it. Your body works like a clock...rhythm and in sync. Noticeable changes in your metabolism... Even the heat your body produces.

Good luck
tfizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:33 AM   #35
Spec C

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfizzle View Post
Thanks for the contribution.

Just a few things.
Quote:
. So your body uses insulin for energy and what isn't used is stored as fat..
Your body doesn't "use insulin for energy". Your body uses insulin to control blood sugar, and transport nutrients. Your body will use glucose, stored glycogen, or fat for energy, depending.

Quote:
That's why eating the 5-6 times a day is important as long as u do it with the right foods. And not all have to be meals just good snacks.
Arguably by not eating for periods of time ie. fasting you are in a state of heightened insulin sensitivity(good), which keeps insulin levels very low. Depending on when, and how you break this fast(post workout for instance) the large insulin response, could be a very good thing.

I have yet to see any actual study, proving the validity of the 5-6 meal thing. Although it does work, and has for years, is not necessary.IMO

When are you the most insulin sensitive? In the morning. Throughout the day, your insulin sensitivity declines.

Additionally there is thought that eating LESS frequently may be easier on the pancreas as it doesn't have to produce insulin every 2-3hrs.

In terms of muscle building there is fairly new research showing larger, less frequent meals may be better due to a potential refractory response.
http://www.musculardevelopment.com/c...ne-norton.html

Quote:
Bmxican posted that info although I don't agree with 500grams or even 300 grams of protein a day. It should be more to 1g/lb unless you want to lean out in that case I would take in your grams per/lb of YOUR Target weight.
I agree that 500g is a pretty wild recommendation, and not needed for the VAST majority of people, if anyone at all.

However I were trying to lean out, protein would likely be higher. Not lower. Not only is protein muscle sparing, it has a higher thermal effect when compared to carbs/fat.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #36
tfizzle

F I meant glucose... Your right. Well mostly all the info I have I gotten thru really great sources . Being in the fire academy def has it perks. Whenever we have our nutritionist in I steam roll her with questions to no end. Same goes with our strength training and stability people.

Well I know what works for me right now my routine is as solid as its ever been. My diet could be more strict ... Actually ill try and make it a point of emphasis :-) not a goal tho.

Yeah I guess I should say I train 10 hour days at the academy so my body is constantly begging for energy and to be hydrated. Then sometimes if I find another round ill hit the gym again after.

So then the lean vs bulk comes in... Since I carry approx 50 lbs of gear in full turn outs and scba I am looking more to lean out so I can be more agile and lighter on my feet. Supplement wise I just take protein and krill oil...

I could probably use something to help my body recover quicker from day to day...? Any suggestions???
Old 11-18-2011, 04:51 PM   #37
Spec C

Bcaa's. A good product such as recover pro, xtend, or bulk powder in either 2:1:1 or 4:1:1 I'd just skip the pills or any over priced crap from gnc
Old 11-18-2011, 06:59 PM   #38
tfizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec C View Post
Bcaa's. A good product such as recover pro, xtend, or bulk powder in either 2:1:1 or 4:1:1 I'd just skip the pills or any over priced crap from gnc
Gnc is wack. So is that something you take at night? I usually just have the shake at night. And try to get some good sleep. I'll check it out tomorrow. I should be getting my lunar glide 3s in too.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:19 PM   #39
Spec C

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfizzle View Post
Gnc is wack. So is that something you take at night? I usually just have the shake at night. And try to get some good sleep. I'll check it out tomorrow. I should be getting my lunar glide 3s in too.
No, it is something you would take during your workout/cardio, between meals to stimulate protein synthesis, the middle of the night if you wake up to pee, etc. Just depends how much you want to consume.

At the very least durring workout/cardio, or anything strenuous, and possible after.

In the simplest terms BCAA's are the bulding blocks of protein. However unlike a shake, or food they are free form and require no digestion, thus giving you an immediate spike in amino acids.

Something like XTEND also has Citruline Malate which will also aid in recovery.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #40
tfizzle

Quote:
No, it is something you would take during your workout/cardio, between meals to stimulate protein synthesis, the middle of the night if you wake up to pee, etc. Just depends how much you want to consume.

At the very least durring workout/cardio, or anything strenuous, and possible after.

In the simplest terms BCAA's are the bulding blocks of protein. However unlike a shake, or food they are free form and require no digestion, thus giving you an immediate spike in amino acids.

Something like XTEND also has Citruline Malate which will also aid in recovery.
nice. Thanks for the info. I'm still learning about all the supplement stuff. If I have any more questions ill try and send em your wayp
Old 11-21-2011, 10:11 PM   #41
bmxican
GO CARDINALS!

If your going to spend money on BCAA's look into LBA's & EAA's as well. And I am trying to hit as much protein as possible, but for me it's all about keeping my carbs in check really whether I want more size/fat/leaner look. Fuck carbs just mess me up so easily.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:39 AM   #42
Spec C

Lba's are pretty questionable to me, but jmo. Phil Hernon pushes them because he makes $$ off them. I would just spend my money on some Pepto-pro which atleast has some scientific validity, personally.

EAA's are good, but BCAA is preferred IMO. If you are eating you are getting plenty of the other AA's. The only time when EAA's are really beneficial over BCAA is if there is a lack of other AA's present they will stimulate protein synthesis longer. With BCAA, using them as I described between meals, intra workout, etc it isn't really a concern. Again, jmo.

To each his own! I recommend anyone do their own research and buy/do what you feel is best. Lots of conflicting opinions out there, and you will find people on both sides getting great results. You just need to figure out which you believe in most. You also need to see if there is a motive in that opinion.ie Does said person make money everytime you buy the item he recommended?

I tend to lean towards someone like Layne Nortons opinion being he is a PHD, and has done actual studies on protein synthesis, BCAA/Leucine supplementation, and not looking to sell something.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:39 AM   #43
bmxican
GO CARDINALS!

Quote:
Lba's are pretty questionable to me, but jmo. Phil Hernon pushes them because he makes $$ off them. I would just spend my money on some Pepto-pro which atleast has some scientific validity, personally.

EAA's are good, but BCAA is preferred IMO. If you are eating you are getting plenty of the other AA's. The only time when EAA's are really beneficial over BCAA is if there is a lack of other AA's present they will stimulate protein synthesis longer. With BCAA, using them as I described between meals, intra workout, etc it isn't really a concern. Again, jmo.

To each his own! I recommend anyone do their own research and buy/do what you feel is best. Lots of conflicting opinions out there, and you will find people on both sides getting great results. You just need to figure out which you believe in most. You also need to see if there is a motive in that opinion.ie Does said person make money everytime you buy the item he recommended?

I tend to lean towards someone like Layne Nortons opinion being he is a PHD, and has done actual studies on protein synthesis, BCAA/Leucine supplementation, and not looking to sell something.

Different ways to skin a cat right! At least your not so stuck on a one way street like I seem to find in soo many people that think Layne Norton is god. I read a lot of his stuff, but I tend to follow my body more. The LBa's and Eaas along with BCAAs' work good for me. The eaa's are cheap enough where I can afford all three supplements. I am actually leaning more on a liquid based diet starting December. I recently met this guy and WOW dood is straight bad to the effin bone and swears by the liquid food more. In order to find stuff that works for you gotta experiment!
Old 11-23-2011, 07:56 AM   #44
Spec C

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxican View Post
Different ways to skin a cat right! At least your not so stuck on a one way street like I seem to find in soo many people that think Layne Norton is god. I read a lot of his stuff, but I tend to follow my body more. The LBa's and Eaas along with BCAAs' work good for me. The eaa's are cheap enough where I can afford all three supplements. I am actually leaning more on a liquid based diet starting December. I recently met this guy and WOW dood is straight bad to the effin bone and swears by the liquid food more. In order to find stuff that works for you gotta experiment!
Absolutely.
I have been around long enough to know there are MANY ways to get to the end goal.

When I structure a diet for someone for instance, I will ask them a million and one questions and start them on what I feel is best suited for THEM, something they can STICK to. Consistency is key. What good is putting someone on something they can't follow, or are MISERABLE on. Even prepping for a show, there are ways to stay sane.

FWIW I don't agree with some thing Layne has to say, but in regards to BCAA supplementation, and things like "gi is bullshit", and some other things I think he is on the money.

Like I said EAA's are great for instance if you didn't eat a whole food meal for a long time pre-wo, then having EAA's(with added leucine) is probably more optimal then BCAA at stimulating protein synthesis. If you just ate 2 hrs before, or drank a whey shake, etc you will have PLENTY of EAA's circulating and BCAA's are preferred, especially with their high leucine content. LEUCINE is the key, that is really the important AA.

As for the liquid diet, I have been saying for years. If you need to drink a few more shakes a day, DO IT.. Just get the calories in for your goal. CONSISTENCY is important. If that means you gotta drink 4-5 shakes a day and only get 1 whole meal, that is better then the guy who misses meals all the time, etc. It is over blown IMO. Use a high quality protein powder, something like good blend of whey/casein/egg white like the Team SKIP or Trutein, etc. I always add some liquid egg whites to shakes, for added "whole food" factor, etc. You will still get fats, and carbs from whole sources anyway.

I am sure you saw the latest TEAM SKIP experiment, where he is having good results with just shakes for protein?

I personally would still eat as I enjoy it, but again it shows you can have a few of your meals be shakes and there is no need to stress it.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #45
apSquidFace

Morning - 3 eggs and some bacon with veggies (usually mushroom, chives, jalepeno, avacodo), a banna a few strawberrys and some blue berrys.. occasionally a kiwi and some almonds or walnuts

Lunch- Salad, with chicken, salami and veggies and home made balsamic, an apple or a banana

snack- baked veggies or beef jerky

dinner- Steak or Chicken maybe once a week fish or paleo pizza with chorizo or sausage, salad or spaghetti squash with walnut and honey.

dessert- if I am still hungry is berrys with coconut milk and honey
Old 02-11-2012, 02:41 AM   #46
Bruticus

I have met a few people who have gotten of grains completely and switched to fruit for carbs with great success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theory View Post
3400 is my caloric baseline,
How did you come up with this number?
Old 02-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #47
Spec C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension Motorsports View Post
I have met a few people who have gotten of grains completely and switched to fruit for carbs with great success.

How did you come up with this number?
Eh. Fruits are a shitty carb source in terms of glycogen replenishment.

They have some health benefits, but also contribute to high triglycerides if you eat too much fructose.

As a carb source for someone lifting/sports not ideal at all.

I have seen people cut out grains and start consuming a considerable amount of fruit just to turn up with triglyceride issues. Like anything you need balance. A couple servings a day.

I really like berries when it comes to fruit.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #48
Theory

Alright well alittle update here is my diet as of now.

Breakfast-
6 eggs(5 egg whites and one full egg)
Wheat toast
No fat yogurt

Snack -
ON whey Protein shake

Lunch-
Chicken breast
some almonds and raisins
1 cup of whole grain noodles

Snack-
ON whey protein shake

Dinner-
6oz steak
1 cup whole grain noodles

I've only gained 4 lbs in since the first post, but I am only doing calisthenics and running not lifting. I planned to sign back up to a gym once I am done with school. I know my diet probably could use some work but I think its a big improvement over my original diet.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #49
Spec C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theory View Post
Alright well alittle update here is my diet as of now.

Breakfast-
6 eggs(5 egg whites and one full egg)
Wheat toast
No fat yogurt

Snack -
ON whey Protein shake

Lunch-
Chicken breast
some almonds and raisins
1 cup of whole grain noodles

Snack-
ON whey protein shake

Dinner-
6oz steak
1 cup whole grain noodles

I've only gained 4 lbs in since the first post, but I am only doing calisthenics and running not lifting. I planned to sign back up to a gym once I am done with school. I know my diet probably could use some work but I think its a big improvement over my original diet.
Looks decent bud. One EASY change to this is to add some sort of fat to those two ON Whey snacks. Just 1oz of cashews, almonds, peanuts, etc. Or nut butter of your choice. Shit even 3-5 fish oil caps would be fine here.

This is going to give you some extra calories, and slow down the digestion of that whey.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #50
jdmcivic1
a.k.a D-Rod

This is my typical day:

7:30- oatmeal and a fruit

9:30- about 4 eggs, bacon and potatoes

11:30- 30 gram protein shake

1:30- chicken breast

3:30- meal from work. Everyday it changes but something like chicken parm, lasagna and pasta etc...

5:30- another 30 gram protein shake

8:00- whatever the wife makes. Examples- chicken and broccoli, tostadas with lean ground turkey, steak/chicken fajitas with veggies...

Dessert- couple of beers
Old 02-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #51
MADEGO

Going in for body fat testing on Tuesday 21st. It's not going to be pretty but I want to see where I am at. Also starting some nutrition classes next month to help me with diet/nutrition and managing my insulin levels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Punisher View Post
Lets play a game. Next one to go onto the topic of cray, neal, or any other jackassery in here, gets a nice 1 month ban!

kthnxbai!
MADEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #52
Spec C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADEGO View Post
Going in for body fat testing on Tuesday 21st. It's not going to be pretty but I want to see where I am at. Also starting some nutrition classes next month to help me with diet/nutrition and managing my insulin levels.
Keep us posted on the bodpod! Is it still at the polytechnic campus?
Old 02-15-2012, 08:09 AM   #53
MADEGO

Yes and only $20.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Punisher View Post
Lets play a game. Next one to go onto the topic of cray, neal, or any other jackassery in here, gets a nice 1 month ban!

kthnxbai!
MADEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:50 AM   #54
rosspetersonn

According to me, I dont know about cutting out carbs completely. Actually, it's a great way to get burned out and give up when the diet is unrealistic like that. I like to eat whole wheat bagels when I dont have time to make oatmeal.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #55
Waffle_Taco

ur not fat maybe just out of shape
Waffle_Taco is offline   Reply With Quote