AZHT.net  

Go Back   AZHT.net > Model Specific Tech Forums > EG Civic/Del Sol + DC Integra

EG Civic/Del Sol + DC Integra Civic (92-95), Del Sol (93-97) and Integra (94-01) Discussion

Old 07-07-2015, 09:50 PM   #1
TwoGlassEyes
Honda noob

HELP: Alternator bracket... thingy... (flange?)

Hi guys,

This may be more simple than it seems, but I can't figure it out and I'm having trouble finding any topics about it on the Internet.

I'm in the process of changing my alternator in my 1994 Civic VX. I got the old one out, no problem. However, the new one is not going in and I'll steal someone's picture from the internet to try to show why:

See the Bottom Alternator Bolt, labeled above? Well that piece of metal it's going into that separates it from the actual bracket is the piece I'm having trouble with. I need that piece to slide out a millimeter or two so I can fit the new alternator in, before I bolt it all back together again. Trouble is, I can't get that ring/flange/thingy to move.

It seems simple enough, yet I can't get my brain to figure out how to get it done. I wasn't able to find anything on Youtube or Google.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!
TwoGlassEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:26 AM   #2
BlueTeg
WTB: Lexus LFA

File the sleeve down a little at a time until it fits. I assume fitment is off by a millimeter or 2?
Old 07-08-2015, 11:19 AM   #3
cbaracing

if you still have your old alternator put it back in the lower bracket and use it like a pry bar to push the "pin" out a hair or you can try gently hitting with a hammer but not so much that you deform it
cbaracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:48 PM   #4
TwoGlassEyes
Honda noob

cbaracing--as always, you are a god among men.

Using the old alternator is a brilliant stroke. In picking up the old alternator, I noticed the alternator itself has a spacer (that's what I now understand that thing is that I was calling a "thingy") that's already in the right position, and the new alternator has one too, of course, in need of a good pounding to be in the right position (that's what she said?). Much easier to whack the alternator than the spacer in the bracket!
Old 07-08-2015, 09:36 PM   #5
TwoGlassEyes
Honda noob

Alternator is in and working. Belt is squealing intermittently, but that's a much easier fix if necessary.