AZHT.net  

Go Back   AZHT.net > Misc Forums > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness Health & Fitness Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2015, 11:51 PM   #1
beil93
BVonn | Photography
 
beil93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 5,789
iTrader: (9)
Getting in shape

Hello all!

I'm looking to get myself back into shape and thought i tried to ask here for a bit of advice. I'll get staight to the point, I'm a big guy for my age and by big I'm a 300+ guy. I need to change that. So now I'm here and I have a problem.

Have I made any changes to my life style? Yes, I cut out any type of soda and I only drink mainly water 100% of my days. Is it much? No bit its a start. Now I'm trying to cut out fast food and that's really about it and I'd like to start eating healthy.

I'm looking to start going to a gym, I'll probably trying 24hr fitness. I recently ran into an old co worker at my job who was here advertising his work (24hr fitness). We got to chatting a bit before I went into work and long story short he offered me a 2 week free pass to 24hr fitness. I plan to give it a try there with the pass to see how it goes then if i like it there ill continue and get a membership.

Now there are very many machines and different exercises that can be done but I don't know exactly what is it I should do? Is there anything specific I should try to get myself into doing? I don't want to go wandering machine to machine not knowing what I'm doing or should be doing. Any advice?
__________________
BVonn | Photography
'03 DC5
beil93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 03:25 AM   #2
A_integra1012
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: phoenix
Posts: 643
iTrader: (5)
Well I think 24/hr fitness is a bit expensive . I would go to planet fitness which is also 24/hr for only $10/month. Also cutting weight / your diet is going to play a huge role in it also. Personally I would start with cardio first and then hit the weights you'll burn more fat that way in my opinion . No point in gaining all that muscle but still have that layer of fat in front of the muscle especially in the abdominal area. Also do not skip lower body workout as that will help shed alot of belly fat also. These are all my personal opinion as ever gym guy has there own way of doing things. I would also drink whey protien shakes before and after workout.
A_integra1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:30 AM   #3
usdm420
My avatar LOVES the cock
 
usdm420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Prescott Valley
Posts: 8,006
iTrader: (11)
Losing weight is damn near ALL diet. Exercise helps for sure, but your diet and your consistency to STICK to that diet is what will be the determining factors.

As for work outs, don't even worry about abdominals and such lol....you're over 300 pounds, you have a LONG way to go to even start thinking about abs coming in. Just find a simple weight training program online and follow it for a few months. Get into a habit of going and eating right.
__________________
LOW BUDGET

Colt loves Kottonmouth Kings!

I remember when "tuning" your Honda was buying MSD and advancing your timing.
usdm420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:26 AM   #4
Fix.it.again.Tony
Formerly 3.8 R-Spec
 
Fix.it.again.Tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Italy
Posts: 2,556
iTrader: (7)
diet diet diet

maybe do some walking or biking daily,

you don't need a gym yet to do this stuff so save your $$$
Fix.it.again.Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:26 AM   #5
Fix.it.again.Tony
Formerly 3.8 R-Spec
 
Fix.it.again.Tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Italy
Posts: 2,556
iTrader: (7)
hit up robinson barba, he lives on yourside of town and dropped like 90lbs or more
Fix.it.again.Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:48 PM   #6
intel
 
intel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: tempe,mesa,avondale
Posts: 2,253
iTrader: (16)
I hate to step on toes but lift before you do cardio. Which 24 hour fitness are you considering ? I suck at lifting but we and be gym Bros if you'd like lol.

I go to most 24 hour fitness locations in the valley as long as they have a basketball court.
intel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:13 PM   #7
beil93
BVonn | Photography
 
beil93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 5,789
iTrader: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_integra1012 View Post
Well I think 24/hr fitness is a bit expensive . I would go to planet fitness which is also 24/hr for only $10/month. Also cutting weight / your diet is going to play a huge role in it also. Personally I would start with cardio first and then hit the weights you'll burn more fat that way in my opinion . No point in gaining all that muscle but still have that layer of fat in front of the muscle especially in the abdominal area. Also do not skip lower body workout as that will help shed alot of belly fat also. These are all my personal opinion as ever gym guy has there own way of doing things. I would also drink whey protien shakes before and after workout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by usdm420 View Post
Losing weight is damn near ALL diet. Exercise helps for sure, but your diet and your consistency to STICK to that diet is what will be the determining factors.


As for work outs, don't even worry about abdominals and such lol....you're over 300 pounds, you have a LONG way to go to even start thinking about abs coming in. Just find a simple weight training program online and follow it for a few months. Get into a habit of going and eating right.
Thanks for the advice. Ill still take a look at 24hr fitness so i can still use the pass and ill checkout planet fitness though. $10 is cheap lol probably just go that route. As far as abs go, LOL I know I'll have a long way to go. I'm just trying to get a bit skinnier, shed pounds and loose a few inches off the waist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix.it.again.Tony View Post
diet diet diet

maybe do some walking or biking daily,

you don't need a gym yet to do this stuff so save your $$$
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix.it.again.Tony View Post
hit up robinson barba, he lives on yourside of town and dropped like 90lbs or more
I have also thought about that more recently and I do want to get a bike I have plenty of time to bike before work and probably after. Also thought about biking to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intel View Post
I hate to step on toes but lift before you do cardio. Which 24 hour fitness are you considering ? I suck at lifting but we and be gym Bros if you'd like lol.

I go to most 24 hour fitness locations in the valley as long as they have a basketball court.
I have no clue to be honest lol I do have to stop by the one is mesa park way I think it was? I have to look it up to remember exactly to go and to talk to my buddy for the 2 week pass but other that idk where id go. Although I'd like to find one near cental phoenix or tempe. The only gym that I'm aware of near me is LA fitness but anyways we could possibly be gym bros lol
__________________
BVonn | Photography
'03 DC5
beil93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:21 PM   #8
intel
 
intel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: tempe,mesa,avondale
Posts: 2,253
iTrader: (16)
Yeah, text me if you'd like. I primarily go to metro center location on peoria/33rd avenue but.... for central phoenix/mesa some good ones are:

18th street and camelback [older gym]
dobson riverview - dobson and the 202 [new location...not the biggest fan of it since its always swarming]
val vista and the us60 [ old but with a basketball court]


feel free to pm me for a number when you get the trial. I'll drop by.
intel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:18 AM   #9
Littlejon1378
 
Littlejon1378's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: mesa,az
Posts: 1,750
iTrader: (2)
I am also over 300lbs and could probably use a workout partner, plus I already have a gym membership and can bring a free guest each time I go so depending on where you located he and your work schedule we may be able to work something out.

Also I am fairly experienced in physical fitness just have a back and shoulder issue and love to eat so I've kinda let myself go lately lol
Littlejon1378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:56 AM   #10
intel
 
intel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: tempe,mesa,avondale
Posts: 2,253
iTrader: (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlejon1378 View Post
I am also over 300lbs and could probably use a workout partner, plus I already have a gym membership and can bring a free guest each time I go so depending on where you located he and your work schedule we may be able to work something out.

Also I am fairly experienced in physical fitness just have a back and shoulder issue and love to eat so I've kinda let myself go lately lol
Which gym do you use? I think planet fitness and fitness 1 are the only ones I've heard of with that policy.
intel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:09 AM   #11
failedabortion
boats n hoes
 
failedabortion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: west
Posts: 3,878
iTrader: (20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by intel View Post
Which gym do you use? I think planet fitness and fitness 1 are the only ones I've heard of with that policy.
Pretty sure quiet a few gyms offer that, eos(golds) and youfit also do.

Use an online calculator to find your daily maintenance kcals and cut 500-1000 from it.

Starting strength or allpro are both great beginner routines and would suggest running either for at least six months before trying another one. When trying to figure out your starting weights, lighter is better.
__________________
I was paid
with the shadow of consensual rape
failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:03 AM   #12
Littlejon1378
 
Littlejon1378's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: mesa,az
Posts: 1,750
iTrader: (2)
I use golds which is now eos which is a really faggoty name for a gym in my opinion
Littlejon1378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:47 AM   #13
beil93
BVonn | Photography
 
beil93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 5,789
iTrader: (9)
18th st and camelback may be the closest one for me. Also considered planet fitness on McClintock and southern since its close to my work or if I do consider 24hr fitness I may choose LA fitness since theyre both the same price almost? Cause i have one kinda near me on 24st baseline.
__________________
BVonn | Photography
'03 DC5
beil93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 03:08 PM   #14
intel
 
intel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: tempe,mesa,avondale
Posts: 2,253
iTrader: (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beil93 View Post
18th st and camelback may be the closest one for me. Also considered planet fitness on McClintock and southern since its close to my work or if I do consider 24hr fitness I may choose LA fitness since theyre both the same price almost? Cause i have one kinda near me on 24st baseline.

if you do the camel back one just hit me up! and upon starting your journey dont forget to stretch and warm up! It feels like total bullshit but it definitely helps
intel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:58 PM   #15
beil93
BVonn | Photography
 
beil93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 5,789
iTrader: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by intel View Post
if you do the camel back one just hit me up! and upon starting your journey dont forget to stretch and warm up! It feels like total bullshit but it definitely helps
For sure will do thanks man!
__________________
BVonn | Photography
'03 DC5
beil93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:31 AM   #16
zmathis
 
zmathis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tucson
Posts: 40
iTrader: (0)
Cottage cheese and fruit and string cheese wrapped in the deli meat of your choice. That's literally all I would eat when I was cutting weight in a healthy manner for wrestling in college.
zmathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:17 PM   #17
juan3023
Fuk a B dnt let a B Fuk u
 
juan3023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tinaja De Vargas Michoaca
Posts: 4,252
iTrader: (5)
doesnt take a rocket scientists to lose weight I personally go to 24 hour fitness got the membership from costco $369 for 2 years JUST eat right thats all I personally like hitting up everything battle ropes,stairmaster,pool are GREAT for cardio and do a bit of weight lifting
__________________
Looking for a new vehicle ? pm I will be available to help you out
juan3023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:05 PM   #18
zmathis
 
zmathis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tucson
Posts: 40
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by juan3023 View Post
doesnt take a rocket scientists to lose weight I personally go to 24 hour fitness got the membership from costco $369 for 2 years JUST eat right thats all I personally like hitting up everything battle ropes,stairmaster,pool are GREAT for cardio and do a bit of weight lifting
It doesn't take a rocket scientist (singular) to provide quality advice in a legible and grammatically correct form either.
zmathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:04 PM   #19
IS-Frank
 
IS-Frank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Foxborough,Massachusetts
Posts: 6,349
iTrader: (0)
Well i really don't reply in these threads,but I myself have lost a tremendous amount of weight I started at 285lbs and I am now down to 192, all I really did was eat right cut off all sodas and junk fast food, stick to a routine work out and swith it up every once in a while like every 2 weeks I swith it up from weight lifting to cardiovascular work outs,...just stick to it mentally and you should do just fine, I used to go to la fitness but it became so crowded it basically became a social club and the hours sucker so I joined planet fitness and was ok but the equipment is so horrible it not the best but it's ok for beginners,but now I'm going to eos (golds) and love it....
IS-Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:00 AM   #20
S!K TEG
LOVES ME SOME CHICKEN
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: here, there, everywhere
Posts: 6,116
iTrader: (12)
I use to weigh avg 320lb then leaving out sugar drinks and junk with walking everyday for 6 months, I went down to avg 209lbs ( no muscle though )

I recently landed a office job and I'm eating at my desk due to all the OT. Well, I gained a few lbs, 95lb to be exact. This is what I have done, now keep in mind, everyone is different:

equip:
I bought a set of weights ( 105lbs) off amazon $80 shipped.
two used tires (used as a bench; free, I had some spare steelies )
piece of wood.

Mon-fri

Now through the day I'm drinking a lot of water with a tablespoon of fiber powder 3x a day ( I drink about a gallon a day of water. )
Food:

2am-
2% milk ( sometimes almond milk )
Oatmeal ( flavored)
egg
banana
peanut butter

I throw it all in a blend and drink it

I also have a cup of black coffee

6am:
peanuts, pumpkin seeds, berries etc

7:45 am:
Yogurt, peanuts, pumpkin seeds, berries etc

9:45 am:
a nice lunch like chicken sandwich; pork chop with some greens, rice and bread; spaghetti or some sort of pasta etc ( make sure to have carbs )

12:15 pm:
protein shake

3:30pm:
I lift weights ( I lift enough so I'm only able to do 5 sets of 5 reps. )
use the tires and wood as a weight bench.

I started off only being able to lift 20lbs and in 2 weeks, I'm already at 70lbs. I do a work out that works out your lower body and upper.

5:00 pm:
mostly something high in protein with water
ex:
chicken with rice and some sort of veggies

then I'm in bed by 6:30ish.

On the weekends:

I eat smart ( no junk food ) I cut back on my carbs and amount of food since I don't really work out those days.

when ever I wake up:
2 eggs
ham, bacon, steak etc ( what ever is in the fridge )
black coffee and some oj


Lunch:

pizza, spaghetti, hamburger ( homemade with lean meat ), girlled steak etc

dinner:
probably left overs from lunch, subway or whatever I find in the fridge.

I usually go for a small hike on south mountain with the family, go the park, play gun games with my kid outside or something to keep me active.

some may say, " you're not eating enough, you're eating a lot of carbs, you need to eat less, you need to do this type of work out" All I have to say is, everyone is different. look up some diet/ workout plans and modify as you need.

I have been doing this for 3 weeks and I already lost 20 lbs, I'm avg 270lbs-275lbs.
__________________
Country Singer.
S!K TEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
ŠAZHT.net 2004-2018
Design by HTWoRKS