AZHT.net  

Go Back   AZHT.net > Misc Forums > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness Health & Fitness Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #31
Spec C
 
Spec C's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,089
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb4arson View Post
how old are you guys ?
Just turned the big 3-0. eh
Spec C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:03 PM   #32
slwk20z
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: tempe
Posts: 59
iTrader: (0)
currently im 5'11 @ 205lbs i wanna bulk up to about 225
slwk20z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:07 PM   #33
Dsquared Upholstery
 
Dsquared Upholstery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: chandler
Posts: 1,431
iTrader: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonJDMAccord View Post
He lies....this is the thread he goes to to jack off

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2
Lmao.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Dsquared Upholstery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #34
bb4arson
;)
 
bb4arson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: vtec heaven
Posts: 9,285
iTrader: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slwk20z View Post
currently im 5'11 @ 205lbs i wanna bulk up to about 225
tank
__________________
non vtec 1.5 fully built . hookers headerzz, custom exhaust 2.5 inch into a 4 inch greedy exhaust . cold air intake.
best 1/4
17.9 @ 83 mph
you mad ?
bb4arson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #35
1badLst
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: scottsdale
Posts: 497
iTrader: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb4arson View Post
tank
We'd kind of need to know BF% or see him to declare that
1badLst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #36
slwk20z
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: tempe
Posts: 59
iTrader: (0)
back in 2008 when i was roughly around 215-220. im trying to get back up there again

slwk20z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #37
Dsquared Upholstery
 
Dsquared Upholstery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: chandler
Posts: 1,431
iTrader: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slwk20z View Post
back in 2008 when i was roughly around 215-220. im trying to get back up there again

Good size. Big shoulders and a smaller chest like me


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Dsquared Upholstery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #38
slwk20z
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: tempe
Posts: 59
iTrader: (0)
yea need to work more on my legs they are my weak point
slwk20z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #39
SiR Mikey
Jermo=King
 
SiR Mikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hick Town
Posts: 7,503
iTrader: (19)
Mother fucker there are some big dudes on azht
SiR Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #40
Dsquared Upholstery
 
Dsquared Upholstery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: chandler
Posts: 1,431
iTrader: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slwk20z View Post
yea need to work more on my legs they are my weak point
They don't look bad. I'd be curious to see you leaned out


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Dsquared Upholstery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #41
bb4arson
;)
 
bb4arson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: vtec heaven
Posts: 9,285
iTrader: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badLst View Post
We'd kind of need to know BF% or see him to declare that
tanks section of azht lol
__________________
non vtec 1.5 fully built . hookers headerzz, custom exhaust 2.5 inch into a 4 inch greedy exhaust . cold air intake.
best 1/4
17.9 @ 83 mph
you mad ?
bb4arson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #42
da_konig
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tucson
Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)
Just checking in saying whats up to all and keep all the good work. I use to be v8haha on here but never got a chance to post much while i was in Korea but im back now and ready to hit the gym harder then ever. I hit the body pod 2 weeks ago @237 I was 21% bodyfat but ill be leaning out to 205 in the next 12 weeks. Im lifting pretty heavy in this cuttrying to stay in the 1200lb club(squat, dead and bench. I keep you guys updated and if anyone wants to take a trip to the bod pod to get a real body fat measurement let me know. This is the pod I have access to
http://www.cosmed.com/index.php?opti...364&Itemid=420
da_konig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #43
Spec C
 
Spec C's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,089
iTrader: (1)
Welcome back.

In my experience the bod pod is good until you get REALLY lean. For some reason it becomes very unreliable at that point.

I was actually talking to John Meadows about this and his experience mirrors mine. He said he was in contest shape, striated glutes/hams, and bod podded at like 10% lol Hydrostatic had him under 5% iirc.
Spec C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #44
da_konig
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tucson
Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)
Yeah I hear ya. The pod I use had Dave Henry @14% a week from Mr O 2012. He took 2nd @202lbs and was clearly less then 5%. The guy that operates the pod says bigger guys tend to get off readings because of the size of the pod. I barely fit in it lol but like a Dyno it should be used to measure success. I I'll be hitting it every 4 weeks as I cut to see where it has me.
da_konig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #45
Spec C
 
Spec C's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,089
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_konig View Post
Yeah I hear ya. The pod I use had Dave Henry @14% a week from Mr O 2012. He took 2nd @202lbs and was clearly less then 5%. The guy that operates the pod says bigger guys tend to get off readings because of the size of the pod. I barely fit in it lol but like a Dyno it should be used to measure success. I I'll be hitting it every 4 weeks as I cut to see where it has me.
Ya it definitely gets wonky. Lol

I have most of my clients do it like you said to check progress although once they get lean enough we just go by the mirror or calipers.

I'm going to be doing my training partners prep and he wants to get in the bodpod before we start. He's 6'5 310. I think he's going to have a panic attack in that fucking thing. Lol

Keep us updated man.
Spec C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:56 AM   #46
da_konig
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tucson
Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)
I will for sure. We are also having a Cross fit gym built right now and when it's done I'll get some pics of that up too.
da_konig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:58 PM   #47
540dude
 
540dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North Phoenix
Posts: 526
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_konig View Post
I will for sure. We are also having a Cross fit gym built right now and when it's done I'll get some pics of that up too.
540dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:46 AM   #48
Spec C
 
Spec C's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,089
iTrader: (1)
Haha..

Bench yesterday. Switched to the powerlifting template of 531(351). Hit some triples at 90% of my training max. Really easy, nothing special and not a PR for mel. After working up I ended up doing 3 sets of 3 at 325lb. In two weeks I will take some heavy singles.

Bench:
bar x 10
95 x 10
135 x 5
185 x 3
225 x 3
255 x 3
290 x 3
325 x 3
325 x 3(video)
325 x 3

Neutral grip incline bench machine(20 sec rest):
150 x 20
150 x 15
150 x 10

Pushdown on lat pulldown(15 sec rest):
70 x 15
70 x 15
70 x 15

Bench width row to belly:
150 x 10
150 x 10
150 x 10

Scapular retraction:
180 x 20
180 x 20
180 x 20

Video:
325 x 3 - YouTube
Spec C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #49
SiR Mikey
Jermo=King
 
SiR Mikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hick Town
Posts: 7,503
iTrader: (19)
I think any heavy lifting is over for me this year. I was deadlifting Sunday night and on the last rep of my last set my back shit out. Spent all yesterday in bed unable to move at all. Second time I've hurt my SI joint in 3 years . Last time it took over a year of light weight rehabbing to get full movement back with minimal pain
SiR Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #50
Dsquared Upholstery
 
Dsquared Upholstery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: chandler
Posts: 1,431
iTrader: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR Mikey View Post
I think any heavy lifting is over for me this year. I was deadlifting Sunday night and on the last rep of my last set my back shit out. Spent all yesterday in bed unable to move at all. Second time I've hurt my SI joint in 3 years . Last time it took over a year of light weight rehabbing to get full movement back with minimal pain
Bummer. I hope things go better this time


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Dsquared Upholstery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #51
Spec C
 
Spec C's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,089
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR Mikey View Post
I think any heavy lifting is over for me this year. I was deadlifting Sunday night and on the last rep of my last set my back shit out. Spent all yesterday in bed unable to move at all. Second time I've hurt my SI joint in 3 years . Last time it took over a year of light weight rehabbing to get full movement back with minimal pain
Let me ask this. Are your hip flexors really tight? A lot of the time what you are describing is actually your hips, hip flexors, and hamstrings. It feels like it is in the lower back/upper butcheek but actually stems from the hips.

I did just this about 4 weeks ago. I could barely move. Intense pain from my low back(spine area) that radiated to the left almost into the very top of my ass.

Some aggressive rehab, and really working the prirformas, and psoas and I am good as new.

I would be doing some deep piriformis stretching. And start doing these with a tennis ball. Beyond that try and really open up your hips.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWfnAUsYUTI

Do you have any thick bands?
Spec C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #52
SiR Mikey
Jermo=King
 
SiR Mikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hick Town
Posts: 7,503
iTrader: (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsquared Upholstery View Post
Bummer. I hope things go better this time


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks man, I'm just boggled by it. It wasn't extremely heavy, and happened probably 5" from the floor as I was putting the weight down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec C View Post
Let me ask this. Are your hip flexors really tight? A lot of the time what you are describing is actually your hips, hip flexors, and hamstrings. It feels like it is in the lower back/upper butcheek but actually stems from the hips.

I did just this about 4 weeks ago. I could barely move. Intense pain from my low back(spine area) that radiated to the left almost into the very top of my ass.

Some aggressive rehab, and really working the prirformas, and psoas and I am good as new.

I would be doing some deep piriformis stretching. And start doing these with a tennis ball. Beyond that try and really open up your hips.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWfnAUsYUTI

Do you have any thick bands?
Actually yes. I've had to switch to an extremely wide stance for squat because anything relatively narrow is unbarable on my back. It takes a while for my hips to loosen up and let me get deep, but it feels much better. I also switched to low bar squats which made a world of a difference. I'll grab a tennis ball today. My father in law actually recommended the same thing a couple days before I did this . As far as bands, I don't have any but I can buy some. I need to buy them either way.

How severe was your pain when it happened to you? It took everything I had to crawl 30 feet to the bath tub. I couldn't stand up right until mid day yesterday. Now that the pain has faded a bit, it feels like the pain is in my lower back, above my tail bone but to the left and right of my spine and shoots up my back. Thank you, I really appreciate the info
SiR Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #53
Spec C
 
Spec C's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,089
iTrader: (1)
It was bad man. It hurt to breathe. I could not take my shoes/socks off. Putting my pants on was hard as hell for days after, I had to drop one side down to the floor and step my leg in, then drop the other side and step in because I could not bend at all, nor raise my leg.

The reason I ask about bands is because you can do some mobility drills like this to open the hips up. This works better than "stretching". For the time being though I would be doing piriformis stretches, and trying to work out that area with a ball.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEHaRvifuts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jO5UcevCD0

Tons of good mobility stuff on this dudes channel.
http://www.youtube.com/user/sanfranciscocrossfit

Some stretches.
Keep back straight, head up




Psoas


Sometimes I do this one, but also put my knee ontop of the bench to really hit the psoas.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_hQSJVIN3c
Spec C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #54
SiR Mikey
Jermo=King
 
SiR Mikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hick Town
Posts: 7,503
iTrader: (19)
I literally grinned as I read that because you described it to a T, down to the way you put your pants on. I'm going to get on the stretching asap. The times I have pain is when there is compression on my back (standing up for example), however if I hang from the power rack there is absolutely 0 pain whatsoever. Was this the case for you as well?
SiR Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #55
Spec C
 
Spec C's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,089
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR Mikey View Post
I literally grinned as I read that because you described it to a T, down to the way you put your pants on. I'm going to get on the stretching asap. The times I have pain is when there is compression on my back (standing up for example), however if I hang from the power rack there is absolutely 0 pain whatsoever. Was this the case for you as well?
I don't recall as I don't remember hanging. I thought it was fucked up really bad though. (actually now that I think more about it as soon as it happened I jumped up on a pull up station and just hung. It totally relieved the pain while hanging)

My hips/hams are very very tight and I neglected mobility work big time.

I still slack to a degree. After reading this it reminds me to keep hitting mobility work. Lol

Put it this way. After the injury I did that piriformis stretch on a bench, and where it was stretching/pulling was right where it hurt.

Let me ask this. When you dl for reps do you touch and go?
Hopefully if you're aggressive in your approach you'll make a speedy recovery. Ps advil/ibuprofen is your friend.
Spec C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #56
SiR Mikey
Jermo=King
 
SiR Mikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hick Town
Posts: 7,503
iTrader: (19)
Awesome, thanks again. Yes, I always touch and go. I always pause for a second though to make sure I'm tight before I pull again for fear of hurting myself. Like I said, the weird thing about this was I pulled my last rep, and it happened as I was putting the weight down.
SiR Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #57
Spec C
 
Spec C's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,089
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR Mikey View Post
Awesome, thanks again. Yes, I always touch and go. I always pause for a second though to make sure I'm tight before I pull again for fear of hurting myself. Like I said, the weird thing about this was I pulled my last rep, and it happened as I was putting the weight down.
I've been resetting every rep these days. Helps me keep my form in check. I tend to start stiff legging it(ie not dropping my hips).

I know a lot of guys who just do singles now. So instead of 10 you might do a single walk away for 10-15 seconds and pull another. Do 10 of those.

Shit if you're in your own home gym just slam/drop the weight.
Spec C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #58
SiR Mikey
Jermo=King
 
SiR Mikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hick Town
Posts: 7,503
iTrader: (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec C View Post
I've been resetting every rep these days. Helps me keep my form in check. I tend to start stiff legging it(ie not dropping my hips).

I know a lot of guys who just do singles now. So instead of 10 you might do a single walk away for 10-15 seconds and pull another. Do 10 of those.

Shit if you're in your own home gym just slam/drop the weight.
I'm a form nazi. Its to the point I think my form has hindered me from increasing my max. I'll overthink the lift rather than just lifting the weight up.

It wasn't until recently that I started doing reps. I used to do a few sets of lighter weight to warm up, and then do singles up until I maxxed out. I'm pulling with a cheap bar and steel plates, so dropping them would be a disaster right now. I was holding off on having the DL platform made, but after this I may bump it on the priority list.
SiR Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #59
Spec C
 
Spec C's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,089
iTrader: (1)
It is good to be a form Nazi. Just remember a max effort lift is a max effort lift, and a lot of time those don't look too pretty..haha

When you are all healed up we should get a session in.
Spec C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #60
SiR Mikey
Jermo=King
 
SiR Mikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hick Town
Posts: 7,503
iTrader: (19)
That sounds like a plan to me, just go easy on me
SiR Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
ŠAZHT.net 2004-2013
Design by HTWoRKS