AZHT.net  

Go Back   AZHT.net > Technical Forums > Tech Garage > ECU/Programming/Electronics

ECU/Programming/Electronics Discuss all ECU & Electronics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #1
sofresh
Diabadass
 
sofresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: WA to AZ
Posts: 1,961
iTrader: (9)
How small of a battety can I use for battery relocation?

So, I've been reading up on the size of the battery needed to use in my battery relocation. I am relocating the battery to the passenger side inside the front bumper. I noticed a lot of people are using either a Buddy Club Racing Battery or an Odyssey Battery. My questions are, what is the minimum that the cold cranking amps need to be, and etc.

I daily drive the car as of now, its a 2000 Civic SI, not stereo upgrades, just leaving it stock. So how small of a battery can I use?

I saw some guys on HT using motorcycle batteries and some even used riding Lawn Mower batteries lol. So, what can I use and not have die on me when out driving, etc.

Thanks in advance!
__________________
www.SeductionMotorsports.com
We are a premier builder of the vintage race-ready Porsche 550 Spyder & Porsche 356 Outlaw Coupe
sofresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
AZ_CIVIC
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 3,795
iTrader: (28)
I used a motorcycle battery and it worked, but I didn't but with that car it was just a track car that had no stereo, ac, power anything. Not sure how well it will do with having all of those things.
AZ_CIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
sofresh
Diabadass
 
sofresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: WA to AZ
Posts: 1,961
iTrader: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC View Post
I used a motorcycle battery and it worked, but I didn't but with that car it was just a track car that had no stereo, ac, power anything. Not sure how well it will do with having all of those things.
Awesome thanks

I have no A/c, no PS, no Cruise Control as well. So do you think a motorcycle battery would still be good?
__________________
www.SeductionMotorsports.com
We are a premier builder of the vintage race-ready Porsche 550 Spyder & Porsche 356 Outlaw Coupe
sofresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:28 AM   #4
nelsmar
no homo
 
nelsmar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,003,641
iTrader: (3)
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc680series.htm iirc is a popular one. Its low amp's keep in mind. They do have a race series as well thats fairly light you might want to look into. Track junkies use them pretty often. But searching on HT quite a few people complain about how weak they are (i mean cmon its a motorcycle battery lol).

Once the car is running the alternator should generate enough power on its own, and you just need the battery to have a slight pool incase you under rev etc. Try unplugging your battery when the car is on, it shouldn't die
__________________
When I grow up, I wanna be God.

My flickr
Canibeat
Local magazine scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by dridge11
I think more lessons should be taught with crossbows. Now that kid knows throwing rocks at cars is a bad idea and will get you impaled.
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:38 AM   #5
sofresh
Diabadass
 
sofresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: WA to AZ
Posts: 1,961
iTrader: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc680series.htm iirc is a popular one. Its low amp's keep in mind. They do have a race series as well thats fairly light you might want to look into. Track junkies use them pretty often. But searching on HT quite a few people complain about how weak they are (i mean cmon its a motorcycle battery lol).

Once the car is running the alternator should generate enough power on its own, and you just need the battery to have a slight pool incase you under rev etc. Try unplugging your battery when the car is on, it shouldn't die
Thanks, thats the one I was looking to go with, seems like the popular choice. I was just curious to know if there were any other decent brands out there for the same or less $$
__________________
www.SeductionMotorsports.com
We are a premier builder of the vintage race-ready Porsche 550 Spyder & Porsche 356 Outlaw Coupe
sofresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:39 AM   #6
crxhfb16
Achievement Get!
 
crxhfb16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SV
Posts: 3,222
iTrader: (15)
i have the odyssey pc680 haven't had any problems with it my buddy uses a $35 lawn mower battery in his 240 that last him about a year
__________________
90 crx hf k20/k24
09 Ram CC HEMI Tow Rig
15 Dodge Challenger ScatPack DD
09 corvette coupe sold
08 FA5 sold
crxhfb16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:59 PM   #7
OBDXherr13
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sierra Vista
Posts: 67
iTrader: (0)
Hey guys, i know this is an old ass thread but i am doing the same thing. relocating the battery to behind the passenger side bumper. im not worried about battery size. i just want to make sure that to run at the track doing this with out a cut off switch or sealed box will be track legal. I can only find info for trunk mounted batteries... does anyone have any experience with the bumper mounted relocation and running them at the track??
OBDXherr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:06 PM   #8
king06
SOY JUAN CAMANEY,CHINGON!
 
king06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Glendale
Posts: 6,092
iTrader: (14)
no cut off switch or box needed since it is not in the cabin or in the trunk.
king06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:10 PM   #9
OBDXherr13
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sierra Vista
Posts: 67
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by king06 View Post
no cut off switch or box needed since it is not in the cabin or in the trunk.
Thats what i thought from all my reading. just wanted to be sure. much appreciated.
OBDXherr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:25 AM   #10
squishmitten
 
squishmitten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 383
iTrader: (4)
Bumping old threads.

I'm looking into the Odyssey pc680 and was just curious if anyone has had issues with it here in this AZ heat.
__________________
92 AGP DB2 -- #0557
95 Black EJ2 -- Daily
Anti Hero Skateboards (Pushin Wood)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAngryMarmot View Post
At least I wasn't too lazy to spell out "you" cupcake. Grown men shouldn't converse like 13 year old girls.
squishmitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:48 AM   #11
AZ_CIVIC
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 3,795
iTrader: (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by king06 View Post
no cut off switch or box needed since it is not in the cabin or in the trunk.
This is actually false if the battery is not located in the factory spot you need a battery cut off. I was at Wild Horse Pass and my battery is located behind the bumper I have passed before like this but was told by another worker a few months ago I need a battery cut off. He told me it doesn't matter where it is located, if it is not in the factory spot it needs a cut off.

Now sometimes you can get away with it like I had many times but it only takes that one guy to say no. I haven't done mine yet but I am going to soon.
__________________
2000 Civic 1042whp
8.86 @ 171
Locash/TSR/Boost Junkyz
AZ_CIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:55 AM   #12
Chuck Chainz
 
Chuck Chainz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: in a house
Posts: 5,913
iTrader: (32)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B16da9 View Post
Bumping old threads.

I'm looking into the Odyssey pc680 and was just curious if anyone has had issues with it here in this AZ heat.
I've had a couple... The first on lasted almost 5yrs. And the last one is still going strong.

You shouldn't have a problem with them.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin;
What's the difference if Bruce Springsteen is his Shidoshi?
Chuck Chainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 12:58 PM   #13
king06
SOY JUAN CAMANEY,CHINGON!
 
king06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Glendale
Posts: 6,092
iTrader: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC View Post
This is actually false if the battery is not located in the factory spot you need a battery cut off. I was at Wild Horse Pass and my battery is located behind the bumper I have passed before like this but was told by another worker a few months ago I need a battery cut off. He told me it doesn't matter where it is located, if it is not in the factory spot it needs a cut off.

Now sometimes you can get away with it like I had many times but it only takes that one guy to say no. I haven't done mine yet but I am going to soon.
Ahhhhhh, I guess it all depends on the tech inspecting. They're all over the place sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Chainz View Post
I've had a couple... The first on lasted almost 5yrs. And the last one is still going strong.

You shouldn't have a problem with them.
I've heard mixed reviews, because they are gel? some people say our alternators are not compatible.

Here's more

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1848627
king06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:29 PM   #14
AZ_CIVIC
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 3,795
iTrader: (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by king06 View Post
Ahhhhhh, I guess it all depends on the tech inspecting. They're all over the place sometimes.



I've heard mixed reviews, because they are gel? some people say our alternators are not compatible.

Here's more

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1848627
Yep in 6 years no one said anything to me before up until a few months ago. He told me that next time if I don't have a battery cut off I couldn't run. The funny thing is that when I went for tech inspection for IFO no one said anything. So for test and tune you need a battery cut off but not for an event and each inspector has their own rules LOL.
__________________
2000 Civic 1042whp
8.86 @ 171
Locash/TSR/Boost Junkyz
AZ_CIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:03 PM   #15
king06
SOY JUAN CAMANEY,CHINGON!
 
king06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Glendale
Posts: 6,092
iTrader: (14)
If they have a small turn out they will say fuck it to all kinds of stuff. "you wearing shorts? Ill let it pass this time, but next time your not running!" lol its all about the money.
king06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:33 PM   #16
Chuck Chainz
 
Chuck Chainz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: in a house
Posts: 5,913
iTrader: (32)
First time I hear bout the alternator thing. From personal experience I don't see any truth to it.
My brother and I had them in Hondas (D16/B16) and my other bro in his MR2 (3SGTE).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin;
What's the difference if Bruce Springsteen is his Shidoshi?
Chuck Chainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:22 AM   #17
S!K TEG
LOVES ME SOME CHICKEN
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: here, there, everywhere
Posts: 6,114
iTrader: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc680series.htm iirc is a popular one. Its low amp's keep in mind. They do have a race series as well thats fairly light you might want to look into. Track junkies use them pretty often. But searching on HT quite a few people complain about how weak they are (i mean cmon its a motorcycle battery lol).

Once the car is running the alternator should generate enough power on its own, and you just need the battery to have a slight pool incase you under rev etc. Try unplugging your battery when the car is on, it shouldn't die
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Chainz View Post
First time I hear bout the alternator thing. From personal experience I don't see any truth to it.
My brother and I had them in Hondas (D16/B16) and my other bro in his MR2 (3SGTE).
Is that the quote you were referring too?
__________________
Country Singer.
S!K TEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
ŠAZHT.net 2004-2013
Design by HTWoRKS