AZHT.net  

Go Back   AZHT.net > Misc Forums > Car & Home Audio

Car & Home Audio Car & Home Audio Junkies Welcome

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2016, 07:31 AM   #1
Alika80
Hawaii Born and Raised
 
Alika80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: STV
Posts: 185
iTrader: (2)
Quit cable? Stream TV?

Question: Looking to save money and thinking dropping cable is a good idea. I was looking at stream boxes/sticks/devices and wondering how they work.

Can I really watch "LIVE" TV?

Sports channels? Can I watch the Cardinals destroy the 49ers, or the Coyotes shut out the Kings live? Will I get NBCSN or maybe even the SKY broadcast for F1 live?

Exactly how legal is this shit? I mean, it has apps to stream movies that are still in theatres...I just don't want to get letters from the FBI...

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Here are some links:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/eld/5486882331.html

http://streamingsmarttv.com/shop/

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/ele/5476233236.html
__________________
OahuGROWN
94 Civic Sedan D16Z6
Function Co. Hawaii
Alika80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:58 AM   #2
CAPTAIN CAAAAAAAVEMAN
WAT UP DAWG?
 
CAPTAIN CAAAAAAAVEMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mesa, AZht
Posts: 3,633
iTrader: (6)
Ive also heard of these but so far dont know anyone who has done anything other than chrome cast. I too woud like to get rid of expensive cox.

It seems to good to be true and i would think eventually the authorities would crack down somehow
__________________
@AZ_caveman

PM me for all your graphic needs! Banners, vehicle wraps or decals, custom wallcovering, fine art, window graphics, flags, table cloths, etc.


CAPTAIN CAAAAAAAVEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:47 AM   #3
LS-S DA9
http://www.azht.net
 
LS-S DA9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: the valley
Posts: 9,748
iTrader: (38)
I dunno I've been curious about this too. My father has some thing called roku if I remember right.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
__________________

2001 Integra LS project/DD
2005 CR-V fully loaded


Hasport
kSPORT
ASR
skunk2
LS-S DA9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:02 AM   #4
Chuck Chainz
 
Chuck Chainz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: in a house
Posts: 5,898
iTrader: (32)
Lol, I haven't had cable for many years now and I don't miss it one bit. How many channels do you really watch anyway to justify their rates?

As long as I have PBS and Netflix I'm good.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin;
What's the difference if Bruce Springsteen is his Shidoshi?
Chuck Chainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:06 AM   #5
S!K TEG
LOVES ME SOME CHICKEN
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: here, there, everywhere
Posts: 6,109
iTrader: (12)
Here is the thing guys.

You still need to pay for internet.
You still need to pay for the apps in the box

I had one and none are free apps. You still pay for hulu, amazon, Netflix etc.

Its just a box that has all the apps your smart TV, Xbox, playstation, phone, computer etc have.

My wife bought one thinking the same shit but it's not how they advertise them, we returned that shit and bought a Sony blue ray player with built apps and can download other apps. Plus its like a PlayStation 4 ( I can play online PlayStation 4 games on my blue ray player ) which only cost her $50.
__________________
Country Singer.
S!K TEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:35 AM   #6
Alika80
Hawaii Born and Raised
 
Alika80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: STV
Posts: 185
iTrader: (2)
I get that I'd still have to pay for Netflix, hulu, etc...I have an AppleTV that I use for those too. I don't mind paying those, just the inflated cable pricing for 1000 channels that I get but only watch maybe 20...

I was wondering about the live TV and live events that I'd miss...Football, hockey, racing, etc...and what actual channels that I'd get from the box...

Also, yes, the legality of it is puzzling because of the "free" movies and what not.
__________________
OahuGROWN
94 Civic Sedan D16Z6
Function Co. Hawaii
Alika80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:24 PM   #7
S!K TEG
LOVES ME SOME CHICKEN
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: here, there, everywhere
Posts: 6,109
iTrader: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alika80 View Post
I get that I'd still have to pay for Netflix, hulu, etc...I have an AppleTV that I use for those too. I don't mind paying those, just the inflated cable pricing for 1000 channels that I get but only watch maybe 20...

I was wondering about the live TV and live events that I'd miss...Football, hockey, racing, etc...and what actual channels that I'd get from the box...

Also, yes, the legality of it is puzzling because of the "free" movies and what not.

TV shows and movies aren't "free" you pay/subscribe to them.

We had to pay for our local channels and all the 1000+ channels.

Was it cheaper than cable, yes. But we have a bundle with our cable and internet so it was not cheaper.

It stream movies and all that in 4k, you need high speed internet with a high speed downloader to stream which was expensive for us if not bundled. If we bundle, our cable tv was only $10 more.

http://firetvblog.com/2015/01/monthl...e-tv-tv-stick/
__________________
Country Singer.
S!K TEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:36 PM   #8
king06
SOY JUAN CAMANEY,CHINGON!
 
king06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Glendale
Posts: 6,054
iTrader: (14)
I bought one of those sticks with kodi and "free" ppv and showtime and all that shit. Some things would play, but I would say about 95% of it didn't work. I paid $80(shame on me, I was lazy and it was supposed to be a gift to my bro) And now kodi is still on it, but no apps what so ever and the dude wants to charge me another $30, fuck him. I only used it maybe 5-6 times before it took a shit on me.

I'll work on it, if I get it to work again I'll pass the info along.
king06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:37 AM   #9
Alika80
Hawaii Born and Raised
 
Alika80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: STV
Posts: 185
iTrader: (2)
Thanks for the replies gents. Still researching options.

king06: I read that the "apps" quit working because the source dies. The StreamingSmartTV that I linked in the OP has the ability to find new streams that work automatically when the original source is cut off. That sounds like the problem you are having with your FireStick...

Like I said, I'm more concerned with live TV channels, Cardinals, Coyotes, etc.
__________________
OahuGROWN
94 Civic Sedan D16Z6
Function Co. Hawaii
Alika80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:12 AM   #10
fmx_dbc
I want to pee on you...
 
fmx_dbc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 4,184
iTrader: (19)
Been using Kodi on a 2nd gen appletv for years. I now have it on my phone, iPad & 4th gen appletv. Kodi rocks when you know how to use it!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Check out my photos on RedBubble and Flickr!

RedBubble


Flickr
fmx_dbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:27 AM   #11
CAPTAIN CAAAAAAAVEMAN
WAT UP DAWG?
 
CAPTAIN CAAAAAAAVEMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mesa, AZht
Posts: 3,633
iTrader: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmx_dbc View Post
Been using Kodi on a 2nd gen appletv for years. I now have it on my phone, iPad & 4th gen appletv. Kodi rocks when you know how to use it!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well then, enlighten us!?
__________________
@AZ_caveman

PM me for all your graphic needs! Banners, vehicle wraps or decals, custom wallcovering, fine art, window graphics, flags, table cloths, etc.


CAPTAIN CAAAAAAAVEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:29 PM   #12
Alika80
Hawaii Born and Raised
 
Alika80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: STV
Posts: 185
iTrader: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN CAAAAAAAVEMAN View Post
Well then, enlighten us!?
What he said /\

I have an AppleTV 3 (hdmi) and all the stuff I've read says that kodi or Jailbreaking is not possible! I must be reading the wrong stuff because you have one that works!

If you could point me in the direction of a how-to or if you could do it I'd pay you...
__________________
OahuGROWN
94 Civic Sedan D16Z6
Function Co. Hawaii
Alika80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:30 PM   #13
king06
SOY JUAN CAMANEY,CHINGON!
 
king06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Glendale
Posts: 6,054
iTrader: (14)
Smart tv is too expensive, especially if live tv are shit quality. I plugged it in last night and started reading about installing app and shit. I need to figure it out.
king06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:31 PM   #14
king06
SOY JUAN CAMANEY,CHINGON!
 
king06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Glendale
Posts: 6,054
iTrader: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alika80 View Post
What he said /\

I have an AppleTV 3 (hdmi) and all the stuff I've read says that kodi or Jailbreaking is not possible! I must be reading the wrong stuff because you have one that works!

If you could point me in the direction of a how-to or if you could do it I'd pay you...

Only certain model apple TVs can be jailbroken.
king06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:34 PM   #15
Alika80
Hawaii Born and Raised
 
Alika80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: STV
Posts: 185
iTrader: (2)
@king06: What'd you plug in? You trying to figure out your streaming issue?

Also, I know my version of ATV is unable to be jailbroken, unless FMX_dbc knows otherwise...
__________________
OahuGROWN
94 Civic Sedan D16Z6
Function Co. Hawaii
Alika80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:23 PM   #16
king06
SOY JUAN CAMANEY,CHINGON!
 
king06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Glendale
Posts: 6,054
iTrader: (14)
The fire stick. There's no apps on it. Everything but kodi got deleted.
king06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:11 AM   #17
mar_phi6
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Coolidge
Posts: 737
iTrader: (1)
I also use kodi. Have my computer connected to my LCD TV and streams movies and tv shows as well. I do suggest buying some of those HDTV antenna that you buy from Walmart or home depot for local channel.
mar_phi6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:42 PM   #18
fmx_dbc
I want to pee on you...
 
fmx_dbc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 4,184
iTrader: (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alika80 View Post
What he said /\

I have an AppleTV 3 (hdmi) and all the stuff I've read says that kodi or Jailbreaking is not possible! I must be reading the wrong stuff because you have one that works!

If you could point me in the direction of a how-to or if you could do it I'd pay you...
Quote:
Originally Posted by king06 View Post
Only certain model apple TVs can be jailbroken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alika80 View Post
@king06: What'd you plug in? You trying to figure out your streaming issue?

Also, I know my version of ATV is unable to be jailbroken, unless FMX_dbc knows otherwise...
You guys are correct the ATV 3's weren't able to be jailbroken. I did the jailbreak on my ATV2 which I've since sold.

What I've learned how to do with the new ATV 4 & iphone & iPad is referred to as "side loading" Kodi. It requires a Mac and Xcode but no weird messing with the operating system. If you search sideload Kodi you should be able to get some good info and a tutorial
__________________
Check out my photos on RedBubble and Flickr!

RedBubble


Flickr
fmx_dbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:55 AM   #19
king06
SOY JUAN CAMANEY,CHINGON!
 
king06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Glendale
Posts: 6,054
iTrader: (14)
I plugged in my firestick after a couple of days and and the addons are still there so it's going back to my bros.

I did however install kodi and a couple addons on my computer, does anybody know a addon for ppv? I tried money sports, but it seems to not to be working anymore.
king06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:02 PM   #20
99ssbp
 
99ssbp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Valley
Posts: 609
iTrader: (6)
I have been streaming for last 4 years.

PS3- Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Youtube

Roku- Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBOgo

Vizio Smart TV- Netflix, Amazon, Hulu


Cox-100mb/s = $75

Hulu- $8

Amazon-free/prime (student discount-$60/year=$5/month)

Netflix- $15

Total-$103/month


get HD antenna and you can get live/local/HD channels for free if you want to watch the news.
__________________
Duct tape is The Force: It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
99ssbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:46 AM   #21
Alika80
Hawaii Born and Raised
 
Alika80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: STV
Posts: 185
iTrader: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmx_dbc View Post
You guys are correct the ATV 3's weren't able to be jailbroken. I did the jailbreak on my ATV2 which I've since sold.

What I've learned how to do with the new ATV 4 & iphone & iPad is referred to as "side loading" Kodi. It requires a Mac and Xcode but no weird messing with the operating system. If you search sideload Kodi you should be able to get some good info and a tutorial
Interesting, thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll go get an ATV4 now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by king06 View Post
I plugged in my firestick after a couple of days and and the addons are still there so it's going back to my bros.

I did however install kodi and a couple addons on my computer, does anybody know a addon for ppv? I tried money sports, but it seems to not to be working anymore.
How is Kodi on the computer? Mac or PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ssbp View Post
I have been streaming for last 4 years.

PS3- Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Youtube

Roku- Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBOgo

Vizio Smart TV- Netflix, Amazon, Hulu


Cox-100mb/s = $75

Hulu- $8

Amazon-free/prime (student discount-$60/year=$5/month)

Netflix- $15

Total-$103/month


get HD antenna and you can get live/local/HD channels for free if you want to watch the news.
Yeah. Your total is much less than my bill, and you have high speed Cox. The HD antenna is a must for the live local stuff. I'll have to Google to see what "over the air" channels are available here.
__________________
OahuGROWN
94 Civic Sedan D16Z6
Function Co. Hawaii
Alika80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:02 AM   #22
nO prEssUrE
 
nO prEssUrE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,170
iTrader: (8)
Ok so i have a satellite company i only pay 70 dlrs a year i do have to conect to the internet to get the keys to each channel but is just like the original service but you still need the satellite and a receiver (not original) so you can uncode the channels. Is a bit of a hard process cause it took me about a year to figure everything out by myself and alot of reading. But anyhow i use that and a IPTV i have tons and tons and tons of channel live TV and free payperviews.

I dont sell it i have nothing to do with this bussinesses i just did it for my self and as a side hobbie.

You have to invest a bit of your time and few things here and there of the hardware but i would say quit paying for cable get a good internet and enjoy.

This is my satellite set up ( I can put the Image but i dont want it full disclouse just click the link dont repost the image just for safety)

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...z/Project6.jpg
nO prEssUrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:39 PM   #23
king06
SOY JUAN CAMANEY,CHINGON!
 
king06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Glendale
Posts: 6,054
iTrader: (14)
Kodi can be installed on pretty much anything, I had it on a raspberry pi and I have a pc.
king06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:41 PM   #24
king06
SOY JUAN CAMANEY,CHINGON!
 
king06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Glendale
Posts: 6,054
iTrader: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nO prEssUrE View Post
Ok so i have a satellite company i only pay 70 dlrs a year i do have to conect to the internet to get the keys to each channel but is just like the original service but you still need the satellite and a receiver (not original) so you can uncode the channels. Is a bit of a hard process cause it took me about a year to figure everything out by myself and alot of reading. But anyhow i use that and a IPTV i have tons and tons and tons of channel live TV and free payperviews.

I dont sell it i have nothing to do with this bussinesses i just did it for my self and as a side hobbie.

You have to invest a bit of your time and few things here and there of the hardware but i would say quit paying for cable get a good internet and enjoy.

This is my satellite set up ( I can put the Image but i dont want it full disclouse just click the link dont repost the image just for safety)

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...z/Project6.jpg
That's interesting.
king06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:19 PM   #25
nO prEssUrE
 
nO prEssUrE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,170
iTrader: (8)
just search for IKS services .. (Internet Key Sharing) .. or just look for a good IPTV service .. i have both and they are amazing.
nO prEssUrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:07 PM   #26
Dsquared Upholstery
 
Dsquared Upholstery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: chandler
Posts: 1,431
iTrader: (4)
I quit cable years ago. We use netflix and hbo go or just read books and magazines. Don't rot your mind and drain your wallet. Ditch the cable
__________________
Dsquared Upholstery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:51 PM   #27
nO prEssUrE
 
nO prEssUrE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,170
iTrader: (8)
I havent paid for cable tv for a while now hhahahaha .. IPTV is the new thing now haahahaha ..
nO prEssUrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
ŠAZHT.net 2004-2013
Design by HTWoRKS