PDA

View Full Version : Cut your shifter !! DIY !!

KStorms2009
09-14-2009, 01:03 PM
OKay so im going to do a DIY on cutting your short shifter so it has a shorter reach. It does shorten the throw a little bit but not as much as an actual short shifter... so dont say it doesnt shorten it at all cuz knowing simple geometry and physics, that will tell you that it does ! so here are the things that i used
1. Hack Saw
2. Vice grips
3. Rags
4. trash bag if you want
5. Alen Wrench
6. file
7. Marker

SO i was tired of the gap inbetween the boot and the knob.... as shown in the pic
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/Hollister2009_2008/ss.jpg
I first started by removing the shift knob, i have an aftermarket type R knob so it took an alen wrench to unscrew, if u have a stock knob, it will just screw off. and if you had the stock knob you would have to add threads, you can rent a kit at auto zone, but i didnt describe it in this DIY
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/Hollister2009_2008/g.jpg
Then this is where you could use a trash bag for easy clean up, have the bag, put a hole in it and put your shifter in the hole with the bag all around to catch the shavings. i didnt use one i just vaccumed everything up.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/Hollister2009_2008/cv.jpg this is where i used the vice grips to clap the shifter so i had something to hold onto, then, just measure how far you want to cut and mark it, i did mine 2", and i think 2" would be the max.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/Hollister2009_2008/ff.jpgthis is after i hacked it away...
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/Hollister2009_2008/22.jpgthen i took a file to round the edges and make the top smooth again.
then just clean everythign up, and put your knob back on with the alen screws. and tighten it up...

BEFOREhttp://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/Hollister2009_2008/ss.jpg
AFTER
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/Hollister2009_2008/downsize-3.jpg
it worked great for me and didnt cost me a DIME ! im all for that ! and it does shorten the throw a slightly but not as much as an actual SS.
** ALSO** i am showing you exactly what i did and not responciple for any damages to your shifter or gears ** Work at your OWN risk !

KStorms2009
09-14-2009, 02:13 PM
the only thing i didnt do was re thread it cuz my knob didnt need threads, and my shifter got thicker as i went down so it fit really tight. so it worked well !

Mr.Teal
09-14-2009, 02:23 PM
So do you guarantee every shift knob to fit once it's cut..

Cuse id do this, but I have a spoon knob?

ewok
09-14-2009, 02:26 PM
does cutting the shifter actually work like a short shifter?

Mr.Teal
09-14-2009, 02:27 PM

technically with math done and all, yes, but I don't think youd feel it as much as a real one, if at all..

KStorms2009
09-14-2009, 02:29 PM
um i couldnt back that up 100% cuz im not fimiliar with ALL shift knobs, but you could at least take ur shift knob off, look at it and look at your shifter. if your shifter doesnt taper than yes, but if it does taper, then sumtime when you put knobs on they come with a plastic piece to put on the stock shifter, just dont use the plastic piece. and should work. always could bust out the JW weld if its not tight, but mine turned out tight.

ewok
09-14-2009, 02:31 PM
technically with math done and all, yes, but I don't think youd feel it as much as a real one, if at all..

so just buy a real one then lol

KStorms2009
09-14-2009, 02:32 PM

in some ways yes, a short shift is in most cases will be the same length as your stock shifter which if you wanted a shorter reach do this, but with a short shifter it is bend differently and has the shift ball moved higher. but in cutting it , in all it does reduce the throw, just like a short shifter but not nearly as much. i could tell the difference when i put it in.

KStorms2009
09-14-2009, 02:33 PM
so just buy a real one then lol
ya you could buy a real one, i just didnt wanna spen dthat kinda money when it looks just as cool and does reduce the throw, and nobody knows different !:bananaman:

Mr.Teal
09-14-2009, 02:34 PM
um i couldnt back that up 100% cuz im not fimiliar with ALL shift knobs, but you could at least take ur shift knob off, look at it and look at your shifter. if your shifter doesnt taper than yes, but if it does taper, then sumtime when you put knobs on they come with a plastic piece to put on the stock shifter, just dont use the plastic piece. and should work. always could bust out the JW weld if its not tight, but mine turned out tight.

lol I wouldn't jb weld a spoon knob but thanks, ill look at it'
:thumbup:

KStorms2009
09-14-2009, 02:38 PM
just givin u an option lol

ewok
09-14-2009, 02:41 PM
ya you could buy a real one, i just didnt wanna spen dthat kinda money when it looks just as cool and does reduce the throw, and nobody knows different !:bananaman:

yeah the one im gettin is 167 not really wanting to spend that kinda cash right now thats why i asked

Thewall
09-14-2009, 02:41 PM
Um, why the hell would you want to do this? I bought my car and the dude who owned it before me did this and it sucked. I had to sit like a god damn cholo (or w/e) just to shift comfortably. And its not an actual short shifter. I think its dumb.

azjared
09-14-2009, 04:41 PM
i did this to my short shifter, i bought a tap and dye set to re thread it though

thakid
09-14-2009, 06:33 PM
Um, why the hell would you want to do this? I bought my car and the dude who owned it before me did this and it sucked. I had to sit like a god damn cholo (or w/e) just to shift comfortably. And its not an actual short shifter. I think its dumb.

He is not asking for your douche opinion. And it gives better appearance and does shorten throw. Plus its free to do. Cant go wrong with that. I have mine already done. Bout to buy a ss.

atomicx
09-14-2009, 06:47 PM
i did this to my short shifter, i bought a tap and dye set to re thread it though

so you made your short shifter even shorter? i wanna try!

KStorms2009
09-14-2009, 11:34 PM
He is not asking for your douche opinion. And it gives better appearance and does shorten throw. Plus its free to do. Cant go wrong with that. I have mine already done. Bout to buy a ss.

thanx lol

84b18
09-15-2009, 09:01 AM
thats a great idea make it so you're shifter is further from the wheel so it takes much longer to reach it.

g2integy
09-15-2009, 09:55 AM
thats a great idea make it so you're shifter is further from the wheel so it takes much longer to reach it.

thats why he needs a circuit hero shift extender ;)

dwa_colt45
09-15-2009, 10:01 AM
stage 3 weight reduction

KStorms2009
09-15-2009, 11:45 AM

obviously u dont know what ur talking about, i did it and i sit normal in my chair and reach it fine, dont diss if u have never experienced it yet :d3:

KStorms2009
09-15-2009, 11:47 AM
and for everyone that likes it, cool go ahead and do it, and for everyone that doesnt.... i really dont give a F&^K if u dont or not, i posted this DIY for ppl that like the look of a short height shifter for cheap, not all of your opinions about that u dont.

bumpstick
09-15-2009, 11:55 AM
Well I dig it because you're original. But I have to say, I'm pretty ghetto with my mods and even I bought an actual short shifter. What makes the shifts "shorter" is the location of the pivot point in relation to the length of the shifter. Simply cutting the shifter just reduces the overall length, but does not move the pivot point, and actually has no advantage at all. At all.

MorningWood
09-15-2009, 12:04 PM
Well I dig it because you're original. But I have to say, I'm pretty ghetto with my mods and even I bought an actual short shifter. What makes the shifts "shorter" is the location of the pivot point in relation to the length of the shifter. Simply cutting the shifter just reduces the overall length, but does not move the pivot point, and actually has no advantage at all. At all.

thank you thats pretty much what i just said on his other thread when he tried calling me out saying it does make it a shorter throw

http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1655872#post1655872

azjared
09-15-2009, 02:41 PM
so you made your short shifter even shorter? i wanna try!

the actual shift wasnt really any shorter i just wanted the shift knob lower

jakehutcherson
09-15-2009, 04:05 PM
haha keith ur a funny guy

dustinda
09-15-2009, 06:42 PM

lol to shifting inside your center consol

Thewall
09-15-2009, 07:35 PM
and for everyone that likes it, cool go ahead and do it, and for everyone that doesnt.... i really dont give a F&^K if u dont or not, i posted this DIY for ppl that like the look of a short height shifter for cheap, not all of your opinions about that u dont.
http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k339/Thewall01324/chopstick-bowl-white-rice.jpg

I don't get the bold...And thats tuff you don't like our opinions, you posted something on the internet, doesn't mean everyone is going to like it or let alone keep their mouths shut about it. Doesn't mean you have to dirty your own thread to prove your point.

azjared
09-15-2009, 08:22 PM
lol to shifting inside your center consol

for sure :roll::idiot:

atomicx
09-15-2009, 10:39 PM
http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k339/Thewall01324/chopstick-bowl-white-rice.jpg

I don't get the bold...And thats tuff you don't like our opinions, you posted something on the internet, doesn't mean everyone is going to like it or let alone keep their mouths shut about it. Doesn't mean you have to dirty your own thread to prove your point.

Mouths? You mean keyboards and phones?

and what the fuck does a bowl or rice have to do with anything...?

bb4arson
09-15-2009, 11:42 PM
in my opinion the shifter is to short ...ur probably slow ur shifting down depending on ur arm length etc..

Thewall
09-16-2009, 06:49 PM
Mouths? You mean keyboards and phones?

and what the fuck does a bowl or rice have to do with anything...?
Ok, so stop your typing sounds better? The shorter shifter is rice imo.

atomicx
09-16-2009, 09:11 PM
Ok, so stop your typing sounds better? The shorter shifter is rice imo.

haha just giving you a hard time. I know what you meant dood.:snookems:

riceboy88
09-16-2009, 09:37 PM
WOW :crazy:

die in a dick fire noob
09-17-2009, 09:52 AM
see i understand the theory of shortening how far your hand travels but unless you change where the pivot is it's the same angle of movement...

tokico
09-17-2009, 10:09 AM
Do whatever you like, good DIY

KStorms2009
09-17-2009, 05:43 PM
see i understand the theory of shortening how far your hand travels but unless you change where the pivot is it's the same angle of movement...

haha yayyy someone see's what im talking about lol. this is right all i changed was how fast my hand got from one place to another, but not the angle or any part of the pivot. so if my hand gets from on place to another a lil fast, do u spoose i could shift faster? meaning throw lol

bumpstick
09-17-2009, 06:46 PM
Picture your shifter as a big metal pipe that is balanced on a big rock. Put an elephant on one end so that the other end is up in the sky like a seesaw. Now imagine you have a crane and you put 2,000 pounds of bricks on the end of the pipe and it lifts the elephant up and the pipe balances out. Now take the bricks off and cut the end of the pipe in half. Will the 2,000 pounds of bricks still balance the elephant?

Shiznit
09-17-2009, 08:11 PM
that had to be the worst analogy ive ever read.

91dateg
09-17-2009, 08:24 PM
yeah the one im gettin is 167 not really wanting to spend that kinda cash right now thats why i asked
you dont have to spend that much man, i just got one for about 33 bucks and it works just fine, really like it

azjared
09-20-2009, 02:46 AM
Picture your shifter as a big metal pipe that is balanced on a big rock. Put an elephant on one end so that the other end is up in the sky like a seesaw. Now imagine you have a crane and you put 2,000 pounds of bricks on the end of the pipe and it lifts the elephant up and the pipe balances out. Now take the bricks off and cut the end of the pipe in half. Will the 2,000 pounds of bricks still balance the elephant?

wait what?

die in a dick fire noob
09-20-2009, 10:18 AM
the megan ones are actually really good, blox makes a great one too, skunk2 dual bends are the best in my opinion for the money, but i'd go with like a stock gsr and a circuit pro shift extender...

i have the megan right now and it is like really low which i don't like but it is quite a short throw...

and kstorm your hand will move a bit faster but quick shifting isn't really the point, if you just make your hand go faster you're going to put more stress on the transmission and usually lead to grinding 2nd gear as a result.

thakid
09-22-2009, 12:55 PM
I heard skunk2 is one of the best short shifter to go with. Dual bend brings it closer to you.

g2integy
09-22-2009, 01:38 PM
I have a b&m in the DA and a Skunk 2 for the hatch both are great ,but for somereason I love the B&M shifter.

84b18
09-22-2009, 03:40 PM
you are also compleatly missing my point. you are moving the shifter further from the steering wheel so no matter what benifit you think you ganed you lost due to the fact that it will take you longer to move your hand from the wheel to the shifter and back.

atomicx
09-23-2009, 07:35 AM
you are also compleatly missing my point. you are moving the shifter further from the steering wheel so no matter what benifit you think you ganed you lost due to the fact that it will take you longer to move your hand from the wheel to the shifter and back.

unless one of your hands is always on the shifter.

usdm420
09-23-2009, 11:33 AM
unless one of your hands is always on the shifter.

The only time you race like that is if you're drag racing a slow POS.:thumbup:

imm0rtal
09-23-2009, 01:52 PM
The only time you race like that is if you're drag racing a slow POS.:thumbup:
x2. this is one ghetto DIY if I ever saw one. I mean short throw shifters aren't expensive...

ewok
09-23-2009, 02:19 PM
I have a b&m in the DA and a Skunk 2 for the hatch both are great ,but for somereason I love the B&M shifter.

where did you pick up your B&M for the da and how much if you dont mind me askin?

g2integy
09-24-2009, 08:57 AM
where did you pick up your B&M for the da and how much if you dont mind me askin?

Not sure what the shop was called it was about 6 years ago , I think it was Apex not sure though. It was a shop on university about a mile away from ASU. Picked it up for $91 and never had a problem with it.

AZDM
09-24-2009, 05:01 PM
I have to chime in. Technically the shift is faster for you but it does not shorten the throw what so ever. The shift shortens when the bottom part of the shifter is lengthened and not the top part shortened. This is a good way to make your shifter look nicer but not a good "upgrade" for your transmission. This is the reason why so many transmissions have grinds in them. But this is only my opinion, MODIFY AT YOUR OWN RISK.

efpower
09-28-2009, 12:19 AM
I have to chime in. Technically the shift is faster for you but it does not shorten the throw what so ever. The shift shortens when the bottom part of the shifter is lengthened and not the top part shortened. This is a good way to make your shifter look nicer but not a good "upgrade" for your transmission. This is the reason why so many transmissions have grinds in them. But this is only my opinion, MODIFY AT YOUR OWN RISK.

so are you saying.....

-cutting the top of the shifter is bad for the tranny?

OR

-real short shifters are bad for the tranny?

AZDM
09-28-2009, 04:10 PM
so are you saying.....

-cutting the top of the shifter is bad for the tranny?

OR

-real short shifters are bad for the tranny?

In reality both. Messing with factory specs is never good. I would put a short shifter on my car any day but I still know it's bad for the tranny. Messing with the design of any car is never good. That's why they have warranties to prevent mods and keep the cars in tact. Since it's an older car, it really doesn't matter. But a short shifter would be prefered over cutting a stock shifter. If on a budget, if you own a car, you can afford a $20 short shifter.

ALLBLVCK
10-22-2009, 09:57 PM
What are the advantages in cutting your shifter?

sorry im new

DarkAngel
03-13-2011, 03:49 AM
LOL effing spam picks the craziest threads......

The Punisher
03-17-2011, 01:00 AM
locked for being the worst DIY ever.