PDA

View Full Version : where can i get smoke tint?

rum151
05-15-2007, 03:48 PM
im going to smoke my headlights and tail lights. where in phoenix can i buy some smoke tint to do them!

Evil Empire
05-15-2007, 03:51 PM
19th Ave & Northern, Hobby Lobby. Just go in and ask for the tinting spray. It's like 5 bucks for a spray can that's a little smaller than a soda can.

rum151
05-15-2007, 03:52 PM
how does the spray work?

rum151
05-15-2007, 03:56 PM
whats better to do the spray or actual film?

Peteex
05-15-2007, 04:00 PM
I don' think tint was ment to go on the outside, I'd be worried how it would fair when exposed to water and detergents.

The testors/hobby store paint is probably a better bet, but this can also cause problems because its model paint, again not meant to be exposed to the elements.

I used it on a set of taillights once, it faded after several weeks of rain and sun. It might work okay if you clear coat it with and automotive paint after its dried.

Evil Empire
05-15-2007, 04:07 PM
how does the spray work?

Pretty well...just clean off whatever you're planning to spray really well, dry it off really well, and start spraying.

Pete, you must've gotten some crappy shit 'cuz I've had mine tinted for about 8 months now and it's still the same.

rum151
05-16-2007, 10:23 AM
alright fuck it i bought some smoke tint film at about 35% dark im going to do my headlights and tailights. will this be too darkfor my headlights, brake lights, parking lights, reverse lights to shine through? any thoughts?

Evil Empire
05-16-2007, 10:31 AM
No idea man...I personally would've gone with the spray, it worked great for me. And you can control how much you want, you see the darkness level change as you spray so you can stop when you have it at the level you want. Not sure about the tint being bad though, I know another guy that did that for his taillights and they've still held up. Sorry I can't help you as far as the questions you're asking in the above post but I wouldn't put them on the headlights.

rum151
05-16-2007, 10:35 AM
so what is it? you just spray the lamps and thats it? the whole lamp?
you dont need to tape anything off? and what kind of spray did you get again? i can maybe just go into a motorsports place and pick some up huh? you have a good point i dont want the tint to start peeling ya know.

Evil Empire
05-16-2007, 10:46 AM
so what is it? you just spray the lamps and thats it? the whole lamp?
you dont need to tape anything off? and what kind of spray did you get again? i can maybe just go into a motorsports place and pick some up huh? you have a good point i dont want the tint to start peeling ya know.

No clue about the motorsports place, I looked at a few and they didn't have it. I went to Hobby Lobby, 19th Ave & Northern, ask for the tint spray. It's a small can, it's like 5 bucks. Trust me, it works great. I did the bottom half of my taillights so i just masked off the top half and started spraying. Just do 2-3 sprays at a time, shake the bottle and and do that again once or twice. Then give it a minute and then do the same. That was my mistake the first time, just do it lightly and easily, don't be in a rush to do it. And if you fuck up, you can remove it with a rubbing alcohol-soaked rag.

rum151
05-16-2007, 10:51 AM
dope. you only did the bottom half ? why didnt you do the whole lamp?

have any pics of youre lights?

Evil Empire
05-16-2007, 03:39 PM
dope. you only did the bottom half ? why didnt you do the whole lamp?

have any pics of youre lights?

Yeah...'cuz the top is solid red and I liked that part, just wanted the white a little darker so I only sprayed on a few coats. Very subtle. But you can make it pretty damn smoked all the way to solid black.

Only like one good pic, it's actually darker in real life and looks much better but always sucks in pictures for some reason. Oh, well anyways...

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/4411/c062xp2.jpg

rum151
05-16-2007, 03:46 PM
haha my work PC sucks and will not let me see the photo yo. but im going all smoke!

rum151
05-17-2007, 08:18 AM
painted the tailights last night and they came out pretty good. ! ill post some pics up tonight. i have to finish the left said tho as i ran out of piant! lolz. one thing tho, would it hurt if i added some clear to the finish? or would that make it harder for me to go back and added some more spray later on when the tint fades? what do you think?

Zero
05-17-2007, 09:28 AM
does anyone on here do this? cause i wanna smoke my tails but im not good with painting or spraying shit like this and if someone could do it i'd pay them....

rum151
05-17-2007, 10:59 AM
ill do it when im done with mines.

Zero
05-17-2007, 12:35 PM
ill do it when im done with mines.

lmk

Rufus
05-17-2007, 12:48 PM
I don' think tint was ment to go on the outside, I'd be worried how it would fair when exposed to water and detergents.

The testors/hobby store paint is probably a better bet, but this can also cause problems because its model paint, again not meant to be exposed to the elements.

I used it on a set of taillights once, it faded after several weeks of rain and sun. It might work okay if you clear coat it with and automotive paint after its dried.

That's why Lamin-X exists

Evil Empire
05-17-2007, 01:51 PM
painted the tailights last night and they came out pretty good. ! ill post some pics up tonight. i have to finish the left said tho as i ran out of piant! lolz. one thing tho, would it hurt if i added some clear to the finish? or would that make it harder for me to go back and added some more spray later on when the tint fades? what do you think?

Don't add clear 'til you're done spraying however much you want...my buddy did it to his and I didn't do it to mine. They've held up pretty much the same so I dunno. Give 'em a nice waxin' though when you're done and it's completely dry. Goddamn you ran out? I did both of mine and I still have like half the can left lol. Yeah, post pics mang.

Werd...expensive though.

Rufus
05-17-2007, 03:06 PM
Werd...expensive though.

Ya for all you broke asses that stop the gas pump at 10 bucks

rum151
05-17-2007, 03:53 PM
ya man so basically you just waxed the lens;s after they dried? with what and how? and will it make them shine?

rum151
05-17-2007, 03:54 PM
Ya for all you broke asses that stop the gas pump at 10 bucks

wow wow wow bro cool it. i stop mines at $15 ok!

Evil Empire
05-17-2007, 10:00 PM
ya man so basically you just waxed the lens;s after they dried? with what and how? and will it make them shine?

With Black Magic Liquid Wax...I think it made it a tiny bit shinier but not anything noticeable. Mainly just for protection...

lexotic_sc300
05-20-2007, 07:06 PM
pix!!?!

rum151
05-21-2007, 04:04 PM
man mines got all fuckered up. i have to strip it all dow nand start all over. damn orange peel, damn fish eyes!

after sessions of light coats of black smoke and a final clear i wasnt pleased with the outcome. maybe patience is my virtue. ive decided to use some stripper and srip everything down to the bare and start all over. im thinking maybe i should of ran a 2000 grit wetsand on the stock surface of the lens before i applied anything. maybe thats why the orange peel came along. ill let you guys know what happens. :lame:

boosted96
11-28-2007, 11:47 AM
Yeah...'cuz the top is solid red and I liked that part, just wanted the white a little darker so I only sprayed on a few coats. Very subtle. But you can make it pretty damn smoked all the way to solid black.

Only like one good pic, it's actually darker in real life and looks much better but always sucks in pictures for some reason. Oh, well anyways...

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/4411/c062xp2.jpg

I found what homie was talking about, but will try it after I get off work today, every hobby shop has this, and its about 5 bucks, and change... check this thread...

http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30685&highlight=tint+spray

boosted96
11-28-2007, 11:50 AM
man mines got all fuckered up. i have to strip it all dow nand start all over. damn orange peel, damn fish eyes!

after sessions of light coats of black smoke and a final clear i wasnt pleased with the outcome. maybe patience is my virtue. ive decided to use some stripper and srip everything down to the bare and start all over. im thinking maybe i should of ran a 2000 grit wetsand on the stock surface of the lens before i applied anything. maybe thats why the orange peel came along. ill let you guys know what happens. :lame:

yeah bro, make sure you clean the surface off with rubbing alcohol, or some sort of cleaner, then spray, and if you still get orange peel? do the 2000 grit, then clear, then 2000 grit again, wax, buff, then wax for a spectacular look, just like a paint job, just go easy on the wax, buff, wax part... this ish peels off quick... :thumbsup:

CRX_N/a beast
11-28-2007, 12:25 PM
Now and days they spray paint them they do it with like a candy color it comes out smooth and great look

boosted96
11-29-2007, 09:40 AM

x2

boosted96
11-29-2007, 09:43 AM
wow wow wow bro cool it. i stop mines at $15 ok!

hahaha! stopping at ten is actually smart not cheap, less weight, better gas mileage, etc... :poke: LOL!!! jk bro!

boosted96
11-29-2007, 09:44 AM
With Black Magic Liquid Wax...I think it made it a tiny bit shinier but not anything noticeable. Mainly just for protection... I wax, then buff, then was with meguairs gold class, but the buff is what gives it most shine...

YewllowDA
11-29-2007, 12:18 PM
when using hobby paint, also use acrylic clear coat , rustoleum stuff...

kawgomoo
12-02-2007, 05:34 PM
walmart sells that stuff too, any color that starts with the word translucent is what you need. i used that stuff alot making tail lights for my bike.

boosted96
12-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Well I tried something new this weekend, took my tail lenses off the base by putting them inside the oven and when they were warm enough, they pulled apart rattle canned them with the smoke tint spray on the inside of the lens so that I don't have to worry about all the extra steps, cleaned off the old sealant, and dayum... I recomend this way to anyone better.... d@mn-near look like they came that way from the dealer! no sanding, no buffing, not clear coat, no nothing... just turn the oven on, bake'em, pull em apart(after removing clips/or screws), whatever you might have that is..., clean the lense off to remove any oils that might be on there or dirt.. spray to whatever shade you want, and put em back together with clear rtv silicone, put screws back one to pressure them together tighter for a good seal, after the silicone dried, and dayum! definitly worth it!

n8ive_rex
12-16-2007, 06:39 PM
yeah i tried out tha smoke tint once got a can from versus motorsports.
got pulled over bout 2 weeks latr 4 being 2 dark.

EgAaronn
01-06-2008, 10:04 PM
What lights can you tint on you're car?
and how do you know if its too dark ?